• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Securing a brolly with guy ropes

Securing from the loop at the back in the middle is practically useless and does nothing if the wind gets up.
on the end of your brolly spines do you have a hole you can push something through?
CDBC7124-621C-474A-A006-93460D217D76.jpeg

if so this is the place to work from.
I push loose cable ties through 2 at the back and 2 at the front then you can peg it down with those keeping the pressure on the area that the wind will take it.
If you want the brolley tilted back just push pegs straight through the cable ties at the back and use ropes on the front. If you want it directly over your head use 4 ropes 4 pegs.
DFC6C04B-61D7-404A-87A6-DBAD0178C87B.jpeg
F05A1C82-F647-4C99-8847-D15EE185D1F2.jpeg

don’t forget a lot of storm pole adapters fit brolley spines and will offer excellent security in the wind too.
But you do ideally need the back side pegged down too and that’s how I do it.
we’ve been through one or two storms together and come out the other side 😎

Last edited:
Thanks ever so much Richard - that is really helpful and achievable. My brolly is on its last legs and what you have suggested will keep it going and will be used on a new one.

Your welcome Edward.
there’s nothing more frustrating than watching your brolley fly about when trying to do a bit of relaxing fishing

You can get adapters that fit on the arms of your brolly that u can fit banksticks to to hold it down.

I use the Gardner brolly spikes they're superb for getting a solid fix into the ground. I've got one of each length for my 3 different sized brollies. I'm told they've stopped making them and are now just selling existing stock.

I use storm poles and the above storm caps perfect.

I remember a couple of windy wet days on the kennet where it was so windy I just put the brolly up super low, threw my gear under it and used it to shelter the tea making gear. Stood outside in the rain in all my waterproof gear. Seems silly now but I have a photo of a nice double from one of those sessions. Wish I had this thread back then!

Back