• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Secure fishing

Jamie Snow

Hi Andy and everyone now,

I am an avid Barbel angler.

After reading your website, you seem the main man.

I am disabled and have to endure a 4/5 hour journey to the Trent for my drug.

So I am wondering if you know of anywhere in the Oxford area that can offer parking next to your swim for a weeks fishing (nights to) on the magnificent Thames?

I drive from Devon so cutting the time to 2/3 hours would be brilliant.

Tight lines

Jim.

Don't despair, Jamie, (Jim) someone or two or three should be along before too long a wait, with some sound advice and details as you request. It may be a conflict of interests right now, with ladies World Cup fooball, F-1 Austrian GP w-end, cricket stuff and Wimbledon plus Glastonbury all taking their 'interested parties'. BfW will not let you down!!

Mike

Hahahahaha, Brilliant Mike. Thanks for reply, must admit my head is stuck in Austria this weekend! What an amazing second practice. Came back from the Trent after season start, 2, 11lb ders. But was in flood for the start so bites rapidly declined once dropping. However caught my pb Zander 9lb 1oz.
Have a photo but won't let me post at the mo.

Hi Andy and everyone now,

I am an avid Barbel angler.

After reading your website, you seem the main man.

I am disabled and have to endure a 4/5 hour journey to the Trent for my drug.

So I am wondering if you know of anywhere in the Oxford area that can offer parking next to your swim for a weeks fishing (nights to) on the magnificent Thames?

I drive from Devon so cutting the time to 2/3 hours would be brilliant.

Tight lines

Jim.

Hello Jim.... Clanfield Angling Club on the upper Thames have a stretch where you can park behind every swim, you do have to climb over a style though. It's not prolific but does hold a few fish.

Jason

Not a “productive” fishery as such but what about The Royalty? It’s set out like a commercial fishery so it’s pretty flat, accessible and there’s almost always someone about so if you get in a tricky situation landing a fish etc help isn’t far away.
It would be worth giving Davis Tackle (where tickets are issued) a ring, explain what you are after and they will be able to advise you of the situation so you can gauge wether it will meet your requirements.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. I always go with my fishing buddy and he would turn his nose up just for suggesting it.
I think the word "Royal" would make his tongue curl, 😅. His loss. I fished the Stour years ago, a good day out.

Out of interest do you know the cost of night fishing on the Royalty?

Ta, Jim.

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. I always go with my fishing buddy and he would turn his nose up just for suggesting it.
I think the word "Royal" would make his tongue curl, 😅. His loss. I fished the Stour years ago, a good day out.

Out of interest do you know the cost of night fishing on the Royalty?

Ta, Jim.

It’s not somewhere I fish, even though it’s not far, I prefer things more natural looking personally. Christchurch likes to think it’s a posh town and look down on the rest of us but it’s certainly not royal :lol:
Last time I checked the night rate which is based on two Angler’s, you can’t fish alone, was about £70 so £35 each. A general day ticket is far Cheaper, like a tenner. Then there’s different sections that have a premium ticket price. Best to talk to them for upto date information.

I made some enquiries about Salmon fishing the Royalty last year to Davis tackle. Let's just say I'd rather cut my own throat than give them any business. To be fair 3 out of 4 of the people I spoke to were fine but one has a severe loathing of anglers and would rather not have to deal with them.
Ringwood tackle however actually are genuinely helpful.

royalty was a great place 30 years back with the old baliff, wouldnt touch it with a barge pole now, my profile pic is taken at the parlour pool there
ringwood tackle are great guys and very helpfull
i think a lot of baliffs now are really sad wanna be policemen and really up there own arses

I made some enquiries about Salmon fishing the Royalty last year to Davis tackle. Let's just say I'd rather cut my own throat than give them any business. To be fair 3 out of 4 of the people I spoke to were fine but one has a severe loathing of anglers and would rather not have to deal with them.
Ringwood tackle however actually are genuinely helpful.
Can you buy Royalty tickets from Ringwood Tackle though Paul? I don’t think you can. Ringwood Tackle is my preferred local tackle shop.

I see my self relaxing under a jolly brolly taking pims , ( with ice from the buttler, with Caviar).
Bugger it's daylight again😉

Back