• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Seasonal Baiting??

Danny Ash

Evening lads, just having a little ponder on bait selection throughout the season, my first season on the river so this will be another thing to learn, currently iv been using a selection of baits including, boilies, pellets, method mix, paste, hemp and casters. Targeting chub and barbel at the moment on my main river stretch, referring back to my carp fishing I wouldn't use a pellet or high oil bait through the colder months, however I would normally introduce more bait around autumn time as the fish feed up ready for the cooler months, should I be switching bait choice as it cools off, maybe a bread/maggot approach. Look forward to having a play about through the coming months, would love to hear your own personal take on this. Cheers

Hi Danny
In the colder months for me the humble Maggot reigns supreme (although always have boilies with me as back-up).
I fish them on a Combi Rig made up of 12lb flouro and 8lb Drennan Micro Braid with a size 14 Guru MWGB which has landed me Barbs to 14.9

Pellets and boilies still work, with a paste wrap is popular too, but as Keith says maggots are great.

Back