• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scunthorpe ticket

Michael Radford

I am 77 years old I have a scunthorpe ticket and a nps limited season ticket I can only fish day time and have to travel 70 miles I also have a heart condition, is there any location on those tickets where I can get the car up to the swims and be in with a reasonable chance of a daytime barbel, bear in mind a comfortable peg too. I have tried ladypit but rarely can you get a peg after 7am.east stoke on the nps is only a short walk to the early pegs but my abseiling skills let me down. A big ask I know any help appreciated.

Here is three maps of the Trent on the Scunthorpe ticket that may help you Michael.Telling you which part of the banks you can and can’t park behind your swim.Besthorpe,Girton and South Clifton.
IMG_1675.pngIMG_1674.pngIMG_1673.png

The waters edge (tide permitting) at the downstream end of the Besthorpe section is like a beach, and there's just a gentle slope to the bank. Park your car behind you on all of the downstream pegs there, Michael.

I've caught daytime barbel on the Besthorpe downstream pegs, not loads as they seem to switch on overnight. As has been said you can drive all the way and park behind the pegs, its then just a case of picking one that suits you, theres lots to pick from.

You can also fish the parish pegs before you go upstream at besthorpe it’s easy also and can get car close

On the Newark ticket at East Stoke there is a peg at the carpark with a solid platform that you should be ok on Michael..
You can also park behind your peg at the power station but you do have the big steps to get down when you have a fish on but some of the pegs only have about 3 steps.

I am 77 years old I have a scunthorpe ticket and a nps limited season ticket I can only fish day time and have to travel 70 miles I also have a heart condition, is there any location on those tickets where I can get the car up to the swims and be in with a reasonable chance of a daytime barbel, bear in mind a comfortable peg too. I have tried ladypit but rarely can you get a peg after 7am.east stoke on the nps is only a short walk to the early pegs but my abseiling skills let me down. A big ask I know any help appreciated.
Try a1 pits Park right behind you and some nice flat pegs

You can join the barbel society who have the rights on the opposite side to iron and steel club

Might be worth joining Iron and Steel next season if you can as I think the waltonians also have a stretch opposite as well as the barbel society that I think involves a bit of leg work .

You can join the barbel society who have the rights on the opposite side to iron and steel club

Barbel Society stretch (Sutton) has a waiting list. Only fishing opposite is on the first bend, where the Scunny stretch finishes, then the Barbel Society control both banks but there’s only fishing from the Sutton side.

Collingham banning night fishing on day tickets along with the loss of other day ticket stretches has shifted a lot of people onto club/syndicate waiting lists.

You can park behind the Scunny pegs on the opposite bank, but I think they close the track at times and access to the swims there is more difficult when the water is up.

Might be worth joining Iron and Steel next season if you can as I think the waltonians also have a stretch opposite as well as the barbel society that I think involves a bit of leg work .

BS at Sutton you can park behind anywhere on the stretch, but it’s a waiting list and chat with the fishery manager to get on now. BS Normanton just downstream is park the car and walk.

Yep a lot of clubs have suffered from the fallout from Collingham, the scunny stretch now has a second gate that has the some of the barbel society stretch on the opposite bank as well,and now has a two year waiting list before a night permit can be obtained, still very good value in my opinion.

Back