• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Salter Electro Samson Digital Scales by Bob Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Salter Electro Samson Digital Scales by Bob Gill

Introduction
After reading about these and hearing Stewart Bloor waxing lyrical about their accuracy, I actually bought a set after resisting temptation for about a year.

Searching the Internet for a supplier at a price that was right and after a pointer from a BFW fellow reviewer, I found that the cheapest price was from a supplier not more than ten miles from me. So without any more delay went off to buy a set.

The Package

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the scales came complete with a padded pouch, battery and removable T bar handle.

Image40.jpg

The Package

The Scales
The scales weigh less than a pound and measure approximately 12" long x 4" wide x 2.5" deep (310 x 100 x 65mm) and have a light grey plastic body. I chose the 55lb capacity scale which weigh to half an ounce � there are also 22 and 100lb versions which I believe weigh with finer or coarser resolution respectively.

You have a choice of read out display which can be changed during weighing if you wish � pounds, ounces and halves, pounds and decimal points of pounds (0.05), and kilograms and decimal points of a kilo (0.02 = 20g).

The control panel that is situated below the LCD display has a ON/ZERO, OFF, HOLD and UNIT selection buttons. The scales will also auto turn off after a couple of minutes of non-use. There is a TARE and HOLD facility, the latter allowing you to hold/freeze the display as long as the HOLD button is depressed.

The slanted display is easy to read with 12mm high numerals. Maybe it would have been nice to have a backlight facility.

Image41.jpg

The Control Panel and Display

Accuracy
Having been 'caught' in the past by claims of manufacturers on the performance of their pieces of kit, I tend to treat everything with scepticism and check things out myself where possible. So armed with some scale weights which I know to be pretty well spot on, I set about checking the scales for accuracy. To be perfectly honest I got bored testing these scales as after about an hour I just couldn't 'trick' them. Adding a quarter of an ounce to various known weights through the range and waiting for the display to change or not was a bit sneaky in retrospect and after reaching around the 30lb mark decided the scales would be OK for my requirements. They also faithfully returned to zero after a few successive, variable and rapid loads. Make no mistake, this particular set of scales are accurate � and if they tell me something weighs 10lb 15 ounces and a half, I�ll believe them.

Image42.jpg

Scales

Conclusion
After trying a number of mechanical scales and another set of digitals, I�m very impressed with the Salter Electro Samson Scales and only wish I had bought them earlier and not wasted money and time by looking at both cheaper and approximately same price dial versions. One word of warning, the close proximity of a mobile phone can sometimes send the read out a bit wild - but you have to get close.

I don't think it would be fair to immerse these scales in the river and then expect them to work - but I might be surprised - I don't suppose that a set of 'sub-aqua' dials would perform very well either. If someone would like to try this then by all means buy your own set and try - let me know the results.

They have also gained favour in the kitchen and garden - sad but nice to know how much rabbit food or wheat is left in that 25kg sack - so partner is also impressed and has helped to justify some of the expense.

Availability
Several tackle shops but I found that the cheapest deal was to be had from Veals Mail Order in Bristol Veals Mailorder > Welcome to our new and improved Veals Mailorder website -

where the 'normal' price of £96 came down to £79.

BFW Score
9 out of 10 - may go up or down depending on performance over a longer term and in the damp, cold conditions of winter - if you are looking for accurate scales then these are the ones.

Bob Gill (bgit) August 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back