• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Salmon season nearly here!

Some Stateside non-Angler hack (who had been clearly sent off on some Lodge's freebie journo-junket) almost declaring in the New York Times that the only possible edible salmon is one caught on "flay".

Flay? Pay a visit to the dear old Chairman if you want to know the meaning of flay.

The tiresome, default setting, "understated" snobbery (and fine-living funny money) that still stakes out our fishing.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/21/fly-zone/

Last edited:
Three fresh salmon off the Royalty today, 21lb, 19lb and 13lb plus a "real lump" was lost. Seems like there has been Something of a run entered the Avon system today. :)

Interesting, far better than my blank on the "lifeless" Test. If this weather keeps up the Avon season will be very short, the water temperature is rising rapidly, we need a large amount of the wet stuff , or the rivers will be in dire straights.
The Test is running around 12inches lower than its lowest last season, bad.
Peter

Result, my first "springer", caught on a DIY fly too, a modest 11lb, but sheer perfection, bright polished chrome with attitude, the day made really special by a 21lb pike, on the same fly earlier, spawned out, a huge fish.
Now for more, fingers crossed!!!!
peter

Gutted, Another pristine springer lost at the net, yesterday morning, great take, great scrap, just that final lunge away and that really sick feeling as the hookhold failed , DOH!
Not a monster, 12-14lb, but still , got those, if only thoughts, not the first one I,ve lost, won,t be the last, barbless hook, not sure if a barb would have made a difference, but, at least it was a clean release, fish was hooked halfway along its lower jaw, not the best place.
peter

Back