• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sakura spinning rod

Paul Collins

With the Hants Avon thundering through and spinning likely to be allowed for the near future I'm feeling that something a bit longer and more powerful than my 7' 7 - 40gram rod is needed.
In my local tackle shop Saturday getting some maggots I idly asked if he had a spinning rod, 4 piece between 9 & 10 ft, expecting a negative response as the shop bristles with very light spinning outfits for drop shotting and the new light sea fishing method.
Was offered a Sakura 9' 14-60g 4 piece. Very impressed, seems light and well made with plenty of power.
Never heard of them but what research I've done all looks good. Quality Japanese blanks, Fuji Alconite rings etc.
It'll be used mainly fishing the floating devon with 1-2oz leads, fixed spool or multiplier.
Here it is.
Sakura Bidaia Travel Spin 904XH 9ft 14-60g | eBay

Anyone got any knowledge of these rods?
Thank

I don't know that particular model, but I've waggled a couple of others (don't remember which) and would say they were much beefier feeling than the casting weight implies, so I would expect that one to have plenty of grunt.

Well, bought it and did some casting with it yesterday, it a peach, dog's dangly bits.
Only tried it with a multiplier with 1, 1 1/2oz and 2 oz leads. Worked well with them all, the 2oz could be cast across the Thames with 6 ft on quite easily.
Quite a soft tip and lots of power right down to the butt, no flat spots.
With a fixed spool it should cast lighter weights with ease.
Recommended reel lines 10-20lb!
Asked the shop owner to estimate a T. C. and he reckoned 2 - 2 1/4lb.
Could make a useful travel stalking rod for big Carp or Barbel, it's seriously powerful.
Well pleased.

Back