• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

SAD REALISATION

Lets be honest fishing all over the country unless well looked after or heavily stocked has gone down the pan the last 30 years. The Trent is fishing its nuts off because of the hundreds of thousands of Barbel stocked by Calverton over the last 30 years. The tiny upper Lea stretch is an exception but its only two swims that's why you get large numbers hoping for a good draw and mostly disappointed early every morning. This will change as soon as Otters appear and they will at some point, because the Barbel are so localised. The cormorants take most of the Roach and Dace every close season and the Chub numbers are drastically down on 3 years ago. Roach are only making a comeback in areas with few cormorants, where they are culled or lakes over 30ft deep. The Avon Roach project has been a great success but the area (Avon/Nadder/Test/Itchen ) is heavily controlled by licensed shooters. The lads say this is a main contributor to their success which they worked hard to encourage. Come to the Colne valley and try to get a 1lb Roach you will be fishing a long time and if you find some they will be eaten over Winter. Thirty years ago from November onwards I would be getting 50lb quality Roach bags or 30lb dace catches from two local rivers I used to fish. Those areas now produce nothing every Winter they have all gone. The now filthy Windrush is one sad exception but Sewage, is it any worse than 30 years ago, I think not. Before the sensors and checks were put in place the sewage farms probably dumped low levels of this filth every day because there was little control and it was free to dump. The rivers round my way used to run dirty all year round they now run clear most of the year . I believe the smaller fry lived on that filth especially during the Winter when things were hard, and without that they often starve. As Neil said earlier suspended organic solids without all the chemicals are possibly what made our rivers rich in coarse fish.

The now filthy Windrush is one sad exception but Sewage, is it any worse than 30 years ago, I think not.

The Windrush below Witney has certainly changed in the last ten years. Between 2003, when I moved here, to around 2010 the water ran clear, had a good flow, and was 4 foot plus deep in the summer. None of that now. Abstraction has increased 1000% and it is completely silted in some places. I am convinced if the pollution was dealt with fish like chub, roach, dace, bullheads, and maybe even trout would return. Such fish were still here after the barbel disappeared with the 2007 floods.

The Upper Thames was the first English river to be FUBAR by every reason imaginable. It was a perfect storm. Sadly, I can't see any silver linings appearing in my lifetime. What has hit anglers around here is the realisation they are unlikely to experience peace and quiet on the river bank again - Covid has seen to that.

I do my best to make the most of what's left. I still fish three times a week from October to the end of the season and I take nothing for granted. I rejoice when I catch a chub no matter the size. On the UT you're lucky to get one good bite in a chub session these days and if you miss it you will more than likely blank. I have recently suffered six consecutive chub blanks - four of those were without a tap. Now the river has broken its banks. This does not deter the paddle boarders, the canoes, and speedy boats piloted by drunken idiots.

53C4E6F7-2B45-484F-9E60-CC6ADA2832BA.png

The public footpath that runs along the Ivel on the Back Meadows of the Ivel is constantly busy, plus it probably the most heaviest fished part of the Ivel. Virtually all the barbel there have gone down otters throats.
As far as people on the bank on the Lea till midnight, only mid summer maybe. This time of year 6pm.
Otters aren't shy of humans any more, I actually had one hunting close to me four 4weeks ago. It just looked at me and carried on.
At this moment in time on the Ouse near Bromham, there's a group of five otters being hand fed every day by some kind member of the public. 😡
This little video shows you how shy otters have become of humans in Thetford.
Chris, I currently live in Thetford, the otters are treated like local celebrities - the damage they seem to have done will take a time to heal, just think the record dace came from that exact stretch of river! The have recently re-stocked the rivers local - could just be expensive otter food.

At this moment in time on the Ouse near Bromham, there's a group of five otters being hand fed every day by some kind member of the public. 😡

I'm confused, surely that means they are hunting for live fish less in that area? Obviously feeding them away from Barbel hotspots would be best but if their diets are supplemented by us won't that reduce their feeding on fish stocks? Maybe I'm missing something..

I'm confused, surely that means they are hunting for live fish less in that area? Obviously feeding them away from Barbel hotspots would be best but if their diets are supplemented by us won't that reduce their feeding on fish stocks? Maybe I'm missing something..
This chub is typical of that area of the Ouse. Most barbel aren't aren't so lucky.
The five otters are as you say, just supplemented. The rest of the time they're out hunting.
Where do you live, what's your river?

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_142105226.jpg
    IMG_20201217_142105226.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 215
This chub is typical of that area of the Ouse. Most barbel aren't aren't so lucky.
The five otters are as you say, just supplemented. The rest of the time they're out hunting.
Where do you live, what's your river?
Hull and Hull 👍 Been otters up this way for at least 30 years, but they must have to work hard for their prey as it's usually very coloured and ploughing through on the more tidal stretches, where the Barbel tend to reside.

Oh Edward, what I have heard recently about the Windrush must be soul destroying. I often fished the section down to the confluence with the Thames back in the 80's. Crystal clear fast flowing water with Barbel drifting between the wonderful streamer weed. I once won a match fishing the last swim down to the Thames road bridge with 60lb of Chub. They cheered each fish from the pub garden opposite and even watched from the Bridge telling me when to strike. The last time I fished it was in the weirpool at the top of the section and we caught Chub all day on the feeder what a wonderful bit of river it was.

Last edited:
Hello Mark - a London club did once have the rights to that little stretch. The area by the road bridge is a mass of knotted trees now and the pillbox by the foot bridge has toppled into the river. I fish it once a season as it looks so enticing and I caught some big chub there 15 years ago. Soon there won't be any swims left as the brambles and trees are taking over. It's a good hunting ground for owls. The weirpool is very popular with swimmers.

Aside from what might be happening on any particular river and why or why not they are fishing poorly, how many people on here actually think about the environment in their day-to-day life?

Problem is we must not be blinkered into thinking one thing is having the effect. I bet if we had a full Otter cull, the demise on some rivers would still happen. If we eliminated all the cormorants it would be the same. As one member put it, our whole Natural World is being decimated, by guess who, us. Every action as a reaction and Nature is a balanced.
I do agree with Lawrence in some way that barbel are a very easy prey for the otter. I used to stalk small ones in France with a fly rod and nymph or maggots. You could get right behind an otter and watch it take, with a chub you would have no chance, they feed differently, mouth shape decides.

But farm run off, abstraction, over fishing all have a part to play, you only have to look at places where the bigger barbel are caught, it's like circus and so much bait used?. Maybe man plays the biggest part in not being able to agree with each-other on a plan for their sustainability?

Regarding cormorants some people say its because we have decimated the sea, they feed inland. I disagree, I think they have evolved and find inland feeding much easier than at sea. I'd rather live with a otter than a cormorant, at least you can fence then out on some waters. Cormorants have ruined many a good fishery, I know with from hand experience. Happy New Year to all members, Richard.

Problem is we must not be blinkered into thinking one thing is having the effect. I bet if we had a full Otter cull, the demise on some rivers would still happen. If we eliminated all the cormorants it would be the same. As one member put it, our whole Natural World is being decimated, by guess who, us. Every action as a reaction and Nature is a balanced.
I do agree with Lawrence in some way that barbel are a very easy prey for the otter. I used to stalk small ones in France with a fly rod and nymph or maggots. You could get right behind an otter and watch it take, with a chub you would have no chance, they feed differently, mouth shape decides.

But farm run off, abstraction, over fishing all have a part to play, you only have to look at places where the bigger barbel are caught, it's like circus and so much bait used?. Maybe man plays the biggest part in not being able to agree with each-other on a plan for their sustainability?

Regarding cormorants some people say its because we have decimated the sea, they feed inland. I disagree, I think they have evolved and find inland feeding much easier than at sea. I'd rather live with a otter than a cormorant, at least you can fence then out on some waters. Cormorants have ruined many a good fishery, I know with from hand experience. Happy New Year to all members, Richard.

You caught otters on the fly? That's ace angling Richard :D:D

Back