• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sad News about JW

Paul Matthews

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,
Just found out today that one of our oldest members John Walker (This Is John to our older members) has sadly passed away 😔
John was a big man with a big character, told it as it was and had a huge heart.
I didn’t know him nearly as well as others, but if he liked you, you had a friend for life.
RIP Big John.

Ah, what a shame!
I didn't know him personally but sure there will be many on here that did!
He was a straight talker on here was John but a thoroughly decent bloke with it and will I'm sure be missed by all those who knew him.
RIP John.

I don't follow Facebook much so this sad news passed me by too.

I've also just heard that dear old BFW friend John Walker (aka JW, aka "thisisjohn", aka "Boner234") sadly passed away - I understand it was a while back February'ish

John didn't enjoy good health in recent years, he struggled on until I guess his poor body lost the fight. I remember fishing with him often, the most memorable was a session at Aldermaston Mill many years ago when I played what we both thought was an enormous barbel, but turned out to be a hard fighting 10ft keepnet :D

We met before his move to the "secret" meat processing plant, and became good friends, albeit we lost contact about a year or so ago, which I regret.

RIP big fella, my next big girl will be shared with you :)

I don't follow Facebook much so this sad news passed me by too.

I've also just heard that dear old BFW friend John Walker (aka JW, aka "thisisjohn", aka "Boner234") sadly passed away - I understand it was a while back February'ish

John didn't enjoy good health in recent years, he struggled on until I guess his poor body lost the fight. I remember fishing with him often, the most memorable was a session at Aldermaston Mill many years ago when I played what we both thought was an enormous barbel, but turned out to be a hard fighting 10ft keepnet :D

We met before his move to the "secret" meat processing plant, and became good friends, albeit we lost contact about a year or so ago, which I regret.

RIP big fella, my next big girl will be shared with you :)
I can just picture the big bugger laughing like a drain at the keepnet capture!

Sad news indeed. Was a great contributor to this site. Always started the 'Happy Christmas' thread and I loved his parrot tales. Was ever helpful with advice and although he had some fairly strident views he was a genuinely decent man. Only had the pleasure of meeting him once at the Loddon fish-in when we had a great laugh taking the mickey out of a very inebriated Rayo. One of the original BFW stalwarts - will be sadly missed. RIP big John.

Claire and I were gutted to hear this sad news. John was one of the original members of the site and over the years was very active on the forum and always willing to freely offer help and advice. He was a loyal supporter of BFW whose integrity was never in doubt.

I met him on a number of BFW fishins and always enjoyed his company enormously.

Thank you 'thisisjohn'. Rest in Peace.

jwalkeripower.jpg

Here's the big man playing a barbel on the Wye :)

Back