• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Running or fixed

All those that are using running leads what is the reasoning behind that ?
because on reflection I’m starting to think that a fixed lead system would have far better hooking capabilities
As long as it's safe ,and dumps the lead if line the main line breaks 👍

Like Rich, I use the Korum bolt and run clips. And I use both running and bolt set ups depending on how I'm fishing. 95% of the time if I'm using maggots or casters then it's a running set-up. My reasoning being that if a smaller fish hangs itself on my size 10 or 12, I can detect it. Wheares if I'm fishing a 4oz maggot feeder with a bolt set up its hard to detect nuisance fish hanging themselves.

With bigger baits then generally a bolt-set up. That said I'm not convinced that it necessarily acts anymore efficiently than a running set up in decent flows as I reckon the pressure of the flow against the line provides enough tension to provide that bolt-rig effect.

If all my casting was overhead and feathered down I’d just use a very simple running lead system. Fixing the lead really comes into its own set of advantages when you under arming it and not really able to feather down at all.

There’s enough tension under the set up for it to act as a self hooking rig just as Joe mentioned above and I personally think in most occasions she’s pricked before the tension of the set up even comes into play.

I’m a tip watcher so I usually have a good idea of what typical bites look like and start out like. Occasionally you’ll get afew tap’s before it’s slammed over and I believe these are the ones where it hasn’t hooked itself on pick up but it’s picked up the bait and moved off casually before it’s hit by the resistance in the set up.

More often in my experience it’s afew taps then nothing. Then after some time it just goes from perfectly still to slammed over.
This for me is most common. The few taps before could of been anything but She’s now picked up the bait and instantly she’s pricked and bolted. No earlier indication at all just instant rig mechanics and her aggressive feeding doing the job.
Regarding hookups fixed or running I’ve used both for years and honestly couldn’t say one does it better than the other with barbel.

Running lead using Koike pulley rig beads, very efficient and they do not tangle.
If the main line breaks they slip straight off.
Also good for link legers replacing the snap link with line for shot.

pulley rig bead.jpg

Hi men

I used these , designed for fish other than carp , smaller and more discreet. We have had times where after landing the fish we have found the lead has ejected for some reason which can only be a good thing . As I say after many years stalking in tap clear water we could experiment.

View attachment 23378

Hatter
I've used very similar set ups to this Mark. I think Korda were the bits I used 👍
And if memory serves me correct, the swivels used for my hooklengths were a size smaller than the ones provided, so they only just hold within the housing. I don't like the idea of squeezing the swivel eye down with pliers to achieve the same thing.

The only reason for using a size smaller is that I'm happy in my mind, that if anyhing was to fail, the swivel would pop out easily leaving the fish non tethered.

But I'm usually a simple free running sort of guy as my rigs are as simple as I am! 😂

All those that are using running leads what is the reasoning behind that ?
because on reflection I’m starting to think that a fixed lead system would have far better hooking capabilities
Does a fixed lead actually work better (or differently) to a running lead in a flowing river ?

A heavy running lead will be significantly more efficient (at setting a hook) than a lighter fixed lead.

Whilst chub fishing last Winter, the best set up I found to hook cagey fish was a heavy running lead. It was significantly better than a heavy, fixed lead.

Does a fixed lead actually work better (or differently) to a running lead in a flowing river ?

A heavy running lead will be significantly more efficient (at setting a hook) than a lighter fixed lead.

Whilst chub fishing last Winter, the best set up I found to hook cagey fish was a heavy running lead. It was significantly better than a heavy, fixed lead

Targeting chub I do it differently again.
Buried baits on a (safe) paternoster rig.
They’ll move the tip before they move the lead and you generally get a good solid pull on the quiver.

How many of you use a running lead for your barbel fishing or do you use a fixed lead and what is the reasoning behind it
was having a conversation today with Richard Issac’s about rigs ..and it dawned on me that I only really use a running lead when barbel fishing but couldn’t think of a reason why 🤔🤔 thinking about it there are many situations where a safe fixed lead would be better
Try a fixed lead but slightly squeeze the hooklink swivel so it pops out the lead clip on the take, best of both worlds

Hi men

The idear behind leadclips is that the swivel stays in the clip long enough and tight enough to force the lead to eject off the clip , and god knows how many Sue caught without a problem . Again the little taps on the road top can be misleading, we have been watching the hook bait clearly when the rod has rattled with the fish nowhere near it 😁 , hovering up freebies near the line caused it . We changed to fluro mainline for a while , and in some circumstances it helped , but returned to good old GR60 . Interesting subject .

Hatter

Very much depends on the situation for me, fishing one rod on maggot feeder it will be running rig (drennan run rig kits) as I like to fish and hit bites and catch other fish whilst waiting for that wrap around. But if fishing 2 rods on the Trent and sitting back relaxing it will be semi fixed with Korum bolt/run rigs. Have also been using the bolt/run rig bead kits I got from Paul Fisk which I really like.

Hi men

The idear behind leadclips is that the swivel stays in the clip long enough and tight enough to force the lead to eject off the clip , and god knows how many Sue caught without a problem . Again the little taps on the road top can be misleading, we have been watching the hook bait clearly when the rod has rattled with the fish nowhere near it 😁 , hovering up freebies near the line caused it . We changed to fluro mainline for a while , and in some circumstances it helped , but returned to good old GR60 . Interesting subject .

Hatter
Very interesting about the rod rattles … makes a massive difference when you can observe fish and how they feed …that’s the one thing I miss about fishing marford you learn so much when you can see what’s going on.. I actually watched barbel pick up my hookbaits then eject them… that’s why the whole rig mechanics thing fascinates me and that’s what the rod rattles were when I was observing fish … looks like there’s more than one reason for it

Hi men ,

Before sue gave up we only picked rivers and stretches that gave us the best chance of seeing them . Iv posted this before , but we have sat watching barbel feeding at our feet , and left them to it 😉.

Hatter

Had the same experience at marford on one occasion I watched barbel troughing in the silt feeding on hemp that I had thrown in and had fell short …. I caught loads of barbel from that silt afterwards… they seemed wary of feeding on the gravel behind it probably associated it with getting caught on it

Semi fixed for me. As others have alluded to, the amount of underwater videos online now show how many bites are missed. When you also consider long hooklengths, I can't help think that the chances of a hook up are reduced again.

I fish the Thames and if there's a fish mouthing the bait I want to rely on the rig to hook the fish. Simply no way you can be concentrating 100% on hard rivers to see every bite and that's assuming the fish gives an indication, plenty of times they don't.

Back