• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rucksacks

The 40 litre Ridgemonkey looks completely the wrong shape (ergonomically) for a rucksack, IMO. Too wide, too deep and not enough height for comfort.

Hope you like it (if you do, my opinion doesn't matter one jot) but if it doesn't work out, try the Korda Compac 45 litre.

A 7 litre bait bucket fits inside it with loads of room for a thermos and extra layers. Outer pockets take the Korda Tackle Box and Compac EVA pouches. Has loops for an unhooking mat.

I've tried all the usual suspects - often ordering several rucksacks at the same time, to compare - and I've ended up 100% happy with this.

Last edited:
why do you need a 40l or 45l rucksack for roving ?

Doesn't that depend on the weather and how long you're out? You might still need spare layers or waterproofs, drinks, nibbles, bits and pieces of tackle, bait, unhooking mat etc., when roving.

OP sounds like he's sorted, but for anyone else and FWIW, I also use a Korum Transition Daypack, which I guess is about 27 litres. That's a great little pack. I use it mainly for lure fishing, but if you took the name literally I'd call it a Transition Half-day Pack.

Hi men ,

If its the right size for you then ridgemonkey is bang on , opens so you can see down inside , side pockets 👍👍👍 , waterproofs in the bottom 👍👍👍. Ridgemonkey are right up there with their gear along with Avid at the mo producing quality gear .
I was given a spool of GR60 in Leslie's of Luton pre release by the owner Kevin . Iv very rarely come off it in all those decades , but the Avid camo mainline is as good , dare I say it better 😲😄 .

Hatter

Looks like you're sorted now Rob. For what it's worth I've never found a rucksack from any tackle company that was comfortable so ended up looking elsewhere. Both of the items below are really good. Once they are on your back you'll forget that it's even there. Plus you can add assorted pouches.

If you want top quality then Cotswold Aquarius would be my choice but there are lots to choose from. I use a esp camo 40 ltr rucksack it’s made to last and does the job just fine for me

It’s funny when you read through threads like this.
Practically everyone responding has the perfect rucksack and the op can’t even get close.

To be honest I don’t think the perfect one exists and I think the op is probably asking a little much in search of perfection particularly if your consistently ordering these items online.

Why not jump in the car and get Down to an angling centre with a good bit of stock on hand. Crack open some boxes and have a look at some in the flesh.

While our opinions say we own the best that’s out there, the reality is they are not helping you much at all and neither is the online blurb

The worlds too lazy imo. Go look at some and pic the right one.

Practically everyone responding has the perfect rucksack and the op can’t even get close.

To be honest I don’t think the perfect one exists and I think the op is probably asking a little much in search of perfection particularly if your consistently ordering these items online.

Why not jump in the car and get Down to an angling centre with a good bit of stock on hand. Crack open some boxes and have a look at some in the flesh.

While our opinions say we own the best that’s out there, the reality is they are not helping you much at all and neither is the online blurb

Totally agree mate that’s the best way get in the tackle shop have a look around see what suits you best.

tbh iv barbel fishing for 30 plus years and spent a small fortune on rucksacks ov the the years ..as for going to a local table shop and opening boxes been there done that got the t shirt..thank for your opinion but if you read my 1st comment ul ov seen I listed only some ov the rucksacks iv owned ..

Totally agree mate that’s the best way get in the tackle shop have a look around see what suits you best.
It’s the only way if it’s an important purchase.

I get it for repeat orders where the postage is less than the fuel but why order an item online that’s got a specific task to for fill.

It gets dam expensive as we can see

It’s the only way if it’s an important purchase.

I get it for repeat orders where the postage is less than the fuel but why order an item online that’s got a specific task to for fill.

It gets dam expensive as we can see
With respect Richard, you can manhandle a rucksack in a tackle shop (and I do) but unless you can fill it full of your tackle and then walk across a couple of fields with it in your fishing gear a few times, you're not going to know for sure whether it's THE ONE for you.

I'm sure we have all bought rucksacks which on purchase seemed to be the dogs gonads but over time we regretted; I certainly have, that's for sure.

Steve

If I'd taken that advice on Monday (it's now Thursday, at the time of writing) I'd still be driving around the UK 🥵 trying to find what my local tackle shops don't stock (and that includes half a dozen Angling Direct and other large tackle shops within 60 miles of where I live).

Instead, I bought a load of 'important' (my wife might disagree about just how important) items online, saved a fortune on fuel and went fishing instead.

So in answer to the question: "Why not jump in the car..."... I humbly suggest, that's why not.

Very lazy of me, when I could have spent a day driving around the country in a heat wave, but I imagine for anyone whose time is at a premium, like workers in the NHS, online shopping is a godsend... and I wouldn't dream of judging theirs (or anyone else's) shopping habits, let alone calling them lazy. 😉

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that and call it a day because I’ve personally saved myself a considerable amount of money by seeing something in the flesh and making better judgment calls as to whether it’s suitable.

I’m not saying it’s full proof as rightly said above from Stephen, there’s only so much you can do in a shop but it’s more than you can do with a picture.
A lot of the big players allow you to check stock on websites. I wouldn’t travel anywhere without doing that or you are leaving yourself open to disappointment.

Anyway each to their own.
Don’t look at my post as offensive, look at it as someone who’s bought blind enough times and it has cost me dearly in the past. Just offering advice…..

Last edited:
🤷
IMG_3584.jpeg

Back