• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rucksack quest

Marty Mulcairn

looking for a large rucksack, (anything from 50 -110 ltrs) but must have the following:

1) straps or clips to carry a large unhooking mat and chair

2) waterproof or waterproof cover

3) lots of external zipped pockets

4) well padded throughout

I have searched on t'internet and found lots with some of the above, but none with all....

any recommendations gratefully received,
cheers
marty

cheers si, i'm now hunting for the army surplus military bergen/patrol pack version ;)

(karrimor manufacture the same items for M.O.D. etc, just got to identify the right one)

looking for a large rucksack, (anything from 50 -110 ltrs) but must have the following:

1) straps or clips to carry a large unhooking mat and chair

2) waterproof or waterproof cover

3) lots of external zipped pockets

4) well padded throughout

I have searched on t'internet and found lots with some of the above, but none with all....

any recommendations gratefully received,
cheers
marty

How much you wanting to spend mate? Im thinking of selling my korum xl rucksack more or less brand new no marks on it its 110ltr mate

No worries marty what did you end up choosing mate?

24%20crop%202500.jpg

No worries marty what did you end up choosing mate?

british army predator patrol pack (made by karrimor ;)) , has detachable plce side pockets and molle webbing as Bobs pic above. Dry sack inside, palm back, compression straps and stuff pockets etc

looks to be perfect, and expect to get many years out of it.

£65 so didn't break the bank either (the same civi model is £130)

Problem with most big fishing rucksacks is that they mostly have rubbish harnesses that transfer most of the weight onto your shoulders, this was hammered home to me after years of lugging around a Wychwood Ruckman bag which damn near crippled me i bought one of the original Fox Rucksacks, this had a rigid shaped back and pretty decent harness, once this was adjusted properly the weight was almost entirely carried on your hips, the difference was incredible, now Fox have had a lot of stick over the years but that was a really good product and i still have it to this day but its sadly no longer in production. Just recently i bought a karrimor one with an adjustable ally frame/ harness and this is brilliant, frankly its a million miles better to carry than most tackle company bags i've ever tried, hence looking at the sabre.

Last edited:
It's taken me years to cut down on what I carry, but when the strap finally tore off my 30+yr old Karrimor sack I was left with the second-hand Korum Ruckbag (the original size) so had to do something. With the unpredictable weather we often face and thepossibility of the chill of a breeze on a shaded bank as the day draws to a close, I always took plenty of clothing. The problem was that this would not all fit in my rucsack. The solution, simple as it sounds, was to put it in a waterproof bag and stuff it inside my rod quiver with my landing net and weighsling. I still take too much gear, but that's about being ruthless and discarding the stuff that never gets used. One day....

Back