• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ruckbag replacement

richard i like the look of the bag as i like the lay flat bags i tend to not be able to find anything in a rucksack , is it the same weight as the korum bag or do you know roughly how heavy it is

I have the avid ruckbag, suppose it’s similar to the Korum as there the same company . Has the clips for a chair, but I carry my chair in my hand.Also I like the two long pockets as it takes the buzz bars of my Korum river pod .

Last edited:
While it still works my trusty Korum roving ruckbag is coming to the end of its life. One of the zips on the main opening is not closing the bag any more and resetting it into its tracks is now a temporary fix.
Had it many many years and done some modifications to it over the years to improve the way it is able to carry non Korum chairs. (Never particularly liked the original chair carrying system with the straps going over the chair)
Time for new before it lets me down mid session.
I have read through all the forum posts on this subject and I know what people have but despite the fact there wasn’t a single recommendation for it on here I went for the fox ruckall.
I looked at another Korum I looked at the Aqua I looked at Nash cubes and many others all of which are missing a huge trick imo.
they pile loads of different funky Features into the bag but the one thing that’s super important to me they don’t offer.
You cannot carry a chair of your choice on your back with it straight out the box.
I like my arms to be completely free when I’m roving the banks.
I’m feeding my swims as I rove the banks with all my gear on my back.
im taking the keys out my pocket and unlocking the car as I walk towards it carrying everything. I couldn’t be without the functionality of carrying my chair on my back nowadays as I’m so used to that luxury.
The fox ruckall is the only system I could find that ticks all the boxes.
I can’t sing it’s praises and tell you it’s brilliant as it hasn’t seen a river bank yet.
so it’s dimensionally the same width as the Korum but it’s a good 2 inch deeper and longer.
this is an advantage for me as I can now put my coat in the bag rather than wearing as a means of carrying. Once the coat is in I can’t actually carry any more stuff than before so it’s still a good roving tool and not giving me excuses to fill it further with unneeded stuff.

Design wise it’s identical to the Korum. Lays flat on sloping banks. one big opening and all your gear to hand. Standing rucksacks are just a total ball ache on river banks imo.

The zips as you can see in the last pic are twice as chunky over the Korum.
Proper heavy duty things by the look of them so hopefully they will do the business. Anyway thought I’d share as it appears no one on here seems to of gone this route. Maybe people think it’s just too carpy????
Dunno. I personally see it as it could potentially be the best river bag on the market for guys like me. Obviously different people different priorities etc.
I love the fact you can just throw any chair you want on the back of it in seconds and away you go to the next swim.
Let’s see if over time it’s worth it’s price tag.
If I had to find a negative over the original Korum ruckbag it would be the lack of D loops. These were quite handy for hooking the fast mat to. Instead Ill just push it inside the chair now. 👍🏻
View attachment 9935View attachment 9936View attachment 9937View attachment 9938View attachment 9939View attachment 9940View attachment 9941
Looks a good bag , I bought the Avid Ruckbag earlier last year and love that it lays flat

richard i like the look of the bag as i like the lay flat bags i tend to not be able to find anything in a rucksack , is it the same weight as the korum bag or do you know roughly how heavy it is
It’s probably 30% heavier than the Korum bag but the material is substantially thicker. It’s a lot more heavier duty than the Korum bag and yet the Korum bag lasted me a decade

The Korum and
just weighed her up for ya Ray. 2.5kg empty. So not light as far as bags go unfortunately

thanks for that richard think it looks better than the korum one though and i have a very old korum rucksack which is roughly that weight and i read that the new korum bags are not made to the same standard as the older ones

Although it isn't what you call a lightweight bag I actually don't find it all that heavy to carry even when fully loaded with my kit,bait, and chair. Its an extremely comfortable bag to carry even when walking a good distance. As Richard states, the quality is superb. Alot better in my opinion than my old Korum.

Yeah the quality is A1. No question about that. And the serious amount of padding and support makes carrying it and roaming with it an absolute gem. I do have set ups that are even lighter and more mobile for a proper roaming day but if I’m taking the chair I’m taking the ruck all. No hesitation there. I’d put it up against the others available any day of the week and it would wipe the floor with them on convenience and build quality alone.

Yep.... totally agree. Arguably the best ruck out there for carrying a chair by a long way in my opinion......and I've had a few!!!🙄

I’ve taken a squint at the Fox and it’s a fair old price! Has anyone got any comments on the Sonik SK-TEK Ruckbag?

I did actually look at the Sonik myself Bill in a tackle shop not far from me. Its not a bad Ruckbag but the quality was nowhere near as good as the Fox. I found it sat really low on the back when I tried it. With that and not really chair friendly it wasn't for me.

I did actually look at the Sonik myself Bill in a tackle shop not far from me. Its not a bad Ruckbag but the quality was nowhere near as good as the Fox. I found it sat really low on the back when I tried it. With that and not really chair friendly it wasn't for me.
Thank you Simon that’s very useful feedback 👍

No problem Bill. Just my opinion but it might suit others. The quality was quite significant compared to the Fox. The Fox material and especially the zips are superb.

I’ve taken a squint at the Fox and it’s a fair old price! Has anyone got any comments on the Sonik SK-TEK Ruckbag?
It is a fair old price bill I agree
When you get hold of it, It does look like you’d only buy it once mind. It’s got hard plastic spiky skids on it to so you couldn’t even tear it With a good dragging around.
the only weak point I can potentially see failing over time or careless use would be the plastic hooks that the chair straps connect to at the bottom. A few good scuffs on concrete or rough terrain could see those broken off. Wouldn’t be difficult to do a replacement mind probably with something more substantial like a steel key ring should that happen.
Sure all fox camolite/voyager stuff is loaded with carp tax as standard.

Back