• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roving

Leon Dodd

Hi all,
just wondering if many people had much success with this method, i have tried it on a number of occasions and have never had any success, not even a single barbel. mostly use the method at this time of year with large meat baits and no prebaiting??? Any tips or hints or reccomendations would be much appreciated,
thanks, leon

There's roving, and then there's roving Leon, some would still call it that, when spending an hour or so in several swims throughout a session, then there's roving in the true sense, constantly on the move rolling a bait every few yards.
Like you i've never had any succsess with it, but i would say it's because i've never given it a fair go.

Like everything the more you practice the better you get, but i would say the best results would probably come when you know the water really well, even to being able to make a calculated guess as to what swims are best at certain times.
If you like doing it keep at it mate, like everything in fishing it'll be a learning curve, just enjoy the ride, quite a few anglers are very succsessful doing it.

Ian.

Hi men ,

As Ian says , poss two differnt mehods . I dont class rolling baits as roving really , as you are not in any swim very long , in fact have fished a bit where someone rolled up to my swim , dropped it below my baited area , and disapered into the distance , thats rolling meat . I class roving (only my view ) as dropping into a swim for max an hourish , giving it your best shot , then moving on .

Both have their strengths and weakness , as has every method , as when you are doing one style , you brain may put in doubts , saying you should be doing the other :D .

Me and Sue rove , and without doubt on one stretch we fish it works against us , but we get bored staring at one swim all day , and sometimes catch IN SPITE of the way we fish , not because of the way we fish :D:D:D:D. There is more to fishing than catching fish !, and in our case its a good job :p.

Hatter

There is a nice pair of little books by Andy Orme full of tips & tactics -
part 1 & 2 - might be worth a look if you can locate them. All about the Teme really but tactics will travel I think.

What River you fishing Leon ? Like Hatter when I fish the middle severn give a swim 30 mins or so then move . Bit in a little of bait in and return to that peg

I tried it on the nidd a couple of days ago, not for the first or last time, the problem is, every swim looks like it should hold barbel so i think locating them is the most difficult bit, but i can't believe that none of the 6 swims i fished had any barbel in. tried about half an hour in each. caught 1 small chub and had a few chubby pulls but no indications of barbel. i'll keep trying and keep you posted.
Cheers for the replies lads, leon

Another trick is to introduce some bait into say 4 swims and then hop from swim to swim every 20 minutes when you have got to your last swim then return to the first and start the cycle again. If a bit of feed is introduced when you leave the swim it can give the fish a false confidence feeding when not under pressure and when you drop back in the bites can come quicker.

I tried a roving method on the Medway a few years a go. I would stay maybe 45 mins max in a swim, sometimes only 20. I did this for a season. I did reasonably well but caught no more than fishing just one or two swims. I have also tried it on the Kennet and had similar results.

Depending on methods, I would usually move a few times anyway.

My standard approach is 20 mins a swim, I like it as i get explore the river. Keep at it and you will definately catch but of course you can blank like any other method.

cheers for the replies guys,
i have tried the prebaiting and rotating swims method and that has never worked for me either, though i usually only bait in the summer, thinking as they don't need as much food in the lower temps, what they do eat i would like to be attached to my hook!!!!
will let you know how i get on next time i go: which could be this afternoon!

Roving and rotating only work if you can guarantee not spooking the fish. Otherwise you are just fishing empty swims.

It was discussed on 'Tight Lines' this evening with Martin Bowler as the guest. Conclusion was that it was worthwhile roving on smaller rivers by fishing various good looking barbel swims but on the bigger rivers it was better to put feed down and hope to draw fish in.

My own feelings are that on the smaller rivers with few barbel then roving is the way to go as long as (like Clive says) you can avoid spooking any that are there. Works reasonably well for me on the Nidd.

Well i had another go yesterday afternoon/evening with the same result of no barbel, had a small chub in the first swim and then another at bang on 5lb (my biggest from the nidd), and then nothing in the next four swims, i will keep trying though, i'll have to get lucky eventually,
Cheers for all the advice, Leon

Back