• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ross-on-wye

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi all was just wondering if anyhow has fished the river wye near the white loin inn pub. Wanted some information before I commit to a long drive.

Hi all was just wondering if anyhow has fished the river wye near the white loin inn pub. Wanted some information before I commit to a long drive.
It's the Wye Alex, pretty straight forward really, it will fish better with a bit more water on, but coming into the best time of year, well worth the drive imo. I haven't ever fished that stretch, a certain Mr Bailey has earned a good living guiding there, so I assume it will be just fine.

Hi Alex,
I was in Ross at the beginning of last week and I would say it was worth the drive. The White Lion is just below the bridge and I believe you can fish the opposite bank up as far as the Rowing Club on a day ticket. It was very low when I was there and I thought upstream of the bridge looked more promising. Give Wye Angling a call and they will be helpful. At Ross you are close to several Wye Usk Foundation bits and Wye Lea is very peaceful. Lunch at the White Lion was another good reason for enjoying the trip. . Hope that helps.

thanks Simon for your reply, me and the mrs were just up there for the day but have now decided to fish the trent at collingham as its a lot closer to me.

It's the RedLion at Bredwardine that John Bailey guided. The White Lion at Wilton was taken over recently and I'm not sure how they look after anglers nowadays but it's a cracking place for a pint! The fishing has always been good through Ross town and although I haven't fished it for a few years I am sure it will fish as good as ever but is desperate for an extra foot or two of water on it!

Back