• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rope for dog spike

Mick Harris

No Longer a Member
I might actually get some time to fish this season and would like some advice on what rope is reliable and up to the job for those banks that demand the spike and rope,many thanks.

P

MH

Natural fibre ropes (manila, sisal) are usually best for grip. A few knots in the rope will help too.

Just be careful if you're thinking of getting some from Go Outdoors. Girl who served me there refused to sell me anything other than the top climbing stuff when I told her it was for me scrambling up river banks! Should have said yes when she asked if it was for my dog!

Builders blue rope with a few knots in it is fine, most of the time it's only there as a guide rope anyway, even on the Teme. Buy it by the metre from Wicks or B&Q.

Just be careful if you're thinking of getting some from Go Outdoors. Girl who served me there refused to sell me anything other than the top climbing stuff when I told her it was for me scrambling up river banks! Should have said yes when she asked if it was for my dog!

she probably did that because you used the word scrambling rhys, so they've got there backs covered as scrambling in rock climbing terms is a form of climbing and all ropes used is supposed to have a minimum breaking strain of 12kn

I personally use a 9mm static climbing line for my spike, nice and light and will tow a car if need be and will last for years if looked after by drying it properly and giving it the occasional wash

Don't knock it till to you've tried it Rhys. Ordered one of the gag kits for the missus :p

Just out of interest, how much rope do you normally attach? I was looking at a couple of swims on the Tees the other night where access would be possible with a spike and rope as the bank was pretty steep.

Manila is a better bet than sisal.manila will fray awhile alerting you to replace.i had a bad time with sisal one day on board ship.the said rope broke without warning .this is par for the course with some sisal rope
Albert

Back