• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rolling fish question

I have no doubt in the method I was using and how it was applied. Same river, same technique yielded 5 barbel in 2 hours the following morning (Thursday). The question was more on my potential watercraft failings. 👍
Well with 5 Barbel in two hours you don’t seem to be doing too bad !!!

Out yesterday fishing with a swim feeder for barbel and had a good sized barbel roll right above it, then a couple of seconds later a load of bubbles appeared, then nothing. This focused my efforts for the remainder of the evening somewhat!
I sat on my hands ignoring the chub knocks waiting for the rod to pull round, but alas, another blank!
I’ve not seen many fish roll and unsure what it means, obviously shows fish locations but does it mean anything else? Are they feeding? Or what? The water was 7degs, and overcast a couple of hours before dark.
Any help please guys…
They could well be avoiding capture by not taking the baited hook that's hard on the bottom and feeding off the feeder spills either mid water or inches below the surface...
Try a small hair rugged polly ball or Cork ball with as many maggots super glued to it, we used to call this the Medussa rig, balance with lead putty if needed to form a popped up bait, its all about a different presentation...

Back