• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod slings

Chris Jones

Anyone else out there that has three piece rods that they struggle to find rod sleeves for? Take standard three piece float rods with you when barbelling, three piece barbel rods or three piece carp rods, if you are that way inclined. End up faffing around with sleeves that are too long or quivers that aren't really designed to take a three piece? Having to leave your reels off the rod in such circumstances? I certainly was. Finally found something that will do for three piece rods just as well as two piece and with reel protection thrown in.

SHPU05: ROD SLING

Mine arrived this morning, and they are spot on. They are available at much reduced prices if you care to look around. I'd guess that the carpy types aren't too interested.

Shimano Aero Quiver Adjustable Rod Sling | Ted Carter Fishing Tackle

Shimano Rod Sling Luggage | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds Add "SNOW" in the coupon field on checkout.;)

I still love my Thinking Anglers sling, have one for Barbel rods and one for Pike rods, will take any length of rod:

Home - Thinking Anglers

Or if you prefer something similar to the Shimano:

Home - Thinking Anglers

I think you will find the latter is where Shimano's idea came from.

Like the look of that rod case, good little company Thinking Anglers, i spent a good hour and a half in the rod room at YAC with Steve when i was choosing a blank to replace my old battered Tri-casts, very smart knowledgeable lad he is.

I agree it is pricey Chris, I prefer the cases, as I said I have two, my rod rests (front and rear, with alarms if I am using them) go in the case with two barbel rods (or three pike rods with the handles off the reels), net strapped to the side. If I am moving swims, I just throw the net and rests in it and throw it over my back, really convenient and so much better than a quiver or big holdall.

Fix my brolly to it with velcro straps if I take one, it also fits under the brolly so doesn't get soaked.

Put a long tip top over the top end of your rods if using two piece rods and they are fully protected.

They look good, just as much of the TA stuff is. They just wouldn't address the three piece rods when using a sling/sleeve set up that I prefer. As a completely new set up, they could work a treat, but I think I'd miss the ability to carry a shelter, banksticks, landing net handle etc that my quiver affords.

Chris, you can use them just as well with three piece rods, they were originally made for use with the YAC carp stalker rods which are 3 piece 9 footers and can actually be completely zipped inside. Your banksticks also fit inside as I said and there are velcro staps either side to attach your landing net & handle and brolly/shelter.

Back