• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod repair

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
I need to re-whip a couple of guides to a rod. I’ve only ever worked on cane previously so have no experience of the two-pack epoxy finishes. I think I recall Flexcoat being advised to me before but Hopkins don’t seem to carry that any more. Any ideas on what I should use, without having to buy litres of the stuff, just for two guides?

All broadly similar in formulation but cure times can vary quite a bit from 4 hours to 24 hrs. Most average around 5-6 hours.
I must admit having tried most brands Flexcoat, U40, Rod Dancer, Bullard D2 and a few others. Personally dislike Prokote due mostly to its long cure time 12 hours plus (and still tacky!). I favoured Bullard D2 but that has become hard to get in the UK and recently switched to U40 LS Supreme Duragloss. Very impressed so far!
If you have not worked with epoxy rod finishes before - avoid any contact with silicone containing materials (polishes etc) which even very small traces of which can be the 'kiss of death'.
Rotating the rod when curing usually gives a better finish.
Hope this helps,
Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob. That does help. I have a rod drying turner, from doing cane rods And I’m aware of the problems that can arise from silicon contamination and finishes. I’m a French polished by trade and silicon causes quite a few problems in my line of work.

I could of course use the same stuff I use on cane but I was hoping to keep the consistency of look of the rest of the guides. Given what you’ve said about the cure times for epoxy I may well end up using either poly or WB lacquer and just resigning myself to the additional applications that will be required. They‘re only single leg guides so it’s such a small surface area as to not make too much difference.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Back