• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Red Head

Mick Newey

There are some half decent river rod rests heads on the market such as the

John Roberts Barbel Rest
Enterprise BARBEL ROD Rest
Korum side strike
Fox Side Strike

Is there anything you would like to change or would like improving ? is there a feature(s) you would like adding ?

A standard butterfly rest. Works a treat. They do a nice range in large white, tortoiseshell, small blue and green hairstreak. Using anything else would be a cardinal error.

Last edited:
Something with small slots to take mini isotopes (the same size as the ones you can stick onto Bite alarms) would be good. If someone did an angled head with isotope slots either side of the V, I think they'd be near perfection for me.

When travelling light I've had allot of success with a forked stick cut out of the hedge.

forkedstick.jpg

Can,t remember where, but i have seen fairly recently a head that DOES take isotopes/starlights for night fishing.

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! There in the BFW shop. :eek: under rod rests.

Last edited:
lg_fox-sidestrike-river-rest.jpg

Fox Sidestrike rest has a recess for an isotope but it’s poorly designed and no built in retention method, you have to you sealant or bluetack.

Fox Front Runners are the ones I like.
They have a rubber inlay so that no matter the angle the rod does not slip.

Can,t remember where, but i have seen fairly recently a head that DOES take isotopes/starlights for night fishing.

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! There in the BFW shop. :eek: under rod rests.

I said I wanted some that could take mini isotopes not whacking great starlights that could bring a Plane into land ! :)

Last edited:
Conrad - tut tut.
Your question to Hobby somewhere else concerning hats - yes but with a wider brim.
Dave - in fact some of the earlier versions did have isotope slots in them, were not pink (blue, black and green inserts as I recall) and one clear polycarbonate version had isotope holes - I got fed up of that one 'cos I kept bumping into it.
Cheers
Bob

Is this thread a wind up? I honestly can't decide ;)

And I thought we had to use our real names ? :p

No not I wind up, I'm an automotive CAD design engineer by trade and deal with Chinese injection moulded tool makers. I've not used a rest that couldnt be improved and have some ideas that I can get rapid prototyped FOC. If they are any good I could get a number made.

Back