• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Recommendation

David Maddison

I'm looking for an 11 foot 2lb test curve rod with a progresive action. Harrison blank maybe?
I just need a shorter rod for my local river nidd with a bit more backbone than my torrix!

11' 2lb Torrix as an alternative to the 11' 1.75 one which I presume you have.
There's a 9' stalker (3 piece) 2lb test and 10' Barbel Stalker 1.75 and 11' 1.75 Avon - all Harrison blanks.

Last edited:
Even a 10ft rod would do you on the Nidd David , so that would widen your options a little . If you are looking at carbon rods I would go for something in the Harrison range . When I'm not wafting cane, I use a Harrison 11ft s/u avon on the Nidd , I think they are 1lb 10 oz or 1lb 12 oz test curve and plenty powerful enough .

Dave, some good answers already. I've got an 11ft Torrix 2lb TC. Dave Lumb built it for me, and in my eyes the best Nidd rod I could have. I've tried a few. Plenty of power for when hit and hold is needed, but with flex a plenty to deal with the unexpected lunges. If you want a waggle let me know!

From memory the Torrix 11' 1.75 and 2lb do not share common butts (as the 12' 1.75 and 2lb versions do) unless things have changed.
I used a 11' 2lb for hit and hold on the Bristol Avon for a few seasons. Great rod.

Harrison chimera 11 foot 6 flood and snag rod
Best close quarter rod there is - does exactly what it says on the tin!
Regards
Wayne

Not quite your specifications but if you're prepared to go to a 10' rod have a look at the Nash scope.They do a 1.75 and 2.25 TC.I've gone even shorter with a 9' 2.25 for the tight swims and have been impressed with it.

Back