• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod reccomendation

Richard Burton

Gents, can anyone recommend a 12ft 2 piece quiver rod (not push in tips), with a soft enough action for the Warks Avon or slower parts of the Severn, not too worried about seeing the 3ft twitches, but the barbel rods I have between 1.5 and 1.75 test are not sensitive enough really for the fish that come between the barbel bites, ie roach and bream etc..

you might be pushed to find a 12ft 2piece with a spliced top nowadays Rich, nearly all multi tips, myself i use a drennan matchpro medium feeder for all things other than barbel, 2 piece but multi tip,lovely rod though...but you will have a multitude of choice.. the rod above as john has said is one although if you have a look around you could probably find it cheaper.. i used to have a fox envoy 12ft 2 piece medium feeder rod with a spliced tip and very good it was too, priced at around £120 then.. a couple come up on the bay now and again and go for around the £45-50 depending on condition but it's perfect for the chub etc...
good luck in your search..

Cheers both the anniversary rod looks good, I have a Fox Avon duo, and barbel duo bostin rods but just don't like push in tips.

i have a pair of Peregrine 1.75 rods and they register digs from Gudgeon, roach, Bream
( urrrgggh ) as well as the pick n spits Barbel are so good at. About the only thing i never see is from the dreaded millers thumbs that snaffle your bait without a hint and just sit there until you reel in. Even plucks from minnows will give a small dink. The only problem is they are not as forgiving of mistakes playing small fish near the net.

I bought 2 of these from go outdoors, great rod and have had Carp to 16lbs on them, very sensitive.

Okuma Carbonite SPW Rod (11')

Special Pellet Waggler design
High Modulus XTR42 carbon blank
Fast response action
Ultra-light SIC guides
Comfort grip EVA handle
Length: 330cm
Casting Weight: 5 - 20g (2-10lb)
2 sections
Weight: 285g
Transport length: 171.5cm

Only 11ft though £35.99 if a card holder