• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Position Changes

Only thing to remember; is if the angle of the rod and the line exiting, is more than 90 degrees, the greater the angle, the greater the risk of the rod being pulled in.

I get that too but 20feet is extreme and boarding on irresponsible. A hooked fish can travel a bloody long way by the time an angler gets out the chair and gets to a rod 20 foot away.
I used to fish the g Ouse and ivel where the barbel were right under the rod tip and I’d always be practically sitting on top of the cork. Even in that situation I’ve come close to losing a rod or two when I’ve taken my eye off the ball.
Same here Rich when I used to regularly fish the Teme, it's surprising how far a fish can move before the rod goes round.

I get that too but 20feet is extreme and boarding on irresponsible. A hooked fish can travel a bloody long way by the time an angler gets out the chair and gets to a rod 20 foot away.
I used to fish the g Ouse and ivel where the barbel were right under the rod tip and I’d always be practically sitting on top of the cork. Even in that situation I’ve come close to losing a rod or two when I’ve taken my eye off the ball.
Yes that's got to be right, unless I suppose they are relying on bait runners. Watching these carp programmes on tv amazes me too where the anglers are nowhere to be seen.

Yes that's got to be right, unless I suppose they are relying on bait runners. Watching these carp programmes on tv amazes me too where the anglers are nowhere to be seen.
If a fish comes back towards the rod, carp do it often when hooked further out, when the line goes right, the rod bends and springs upwards at the butt. 20 " is a mile away with a bouncing rod.

You’d never get away with a baitrunner on alot of the Ouse stretches and pretty much every area of the ivel.
They’d have your rig tied up in a double bow round the roots of the trees 4 pegs down before you’d even got off the chair.

These types of rivers I’ve fished a lot and it’s a case of locked up, super strong and sit on your rods to stand a sporting chance.

Some of the biggest girls I’ve caught in the past particularly from the ivel or nene backwaters are often from areas you could jump across….. with a good run up and the wind behind you.

You’d never get away with a baitrunner on alot of the Ouse stretches and pretty much every area of the ivel.
They’d have your rig tied up in a double bow round the roots of the trees 4 pegs down before you’d even got off the chair.

These types of rivers I’ve fished a lot and it’s a case of locked up, super strong and sit on your rods to stand a sporting chance.

Some of the biggest girls I’ve caught in the past particularly from the ivel or nene backwaters are often from areas you could jump across….. with a good run up and the wind behind you.
I take it your last sentence refers to fishing, if not, I am too old, even for reminders! Where I fished Thursday , lovely club water, I used a light feeder simply because I like it very much. We built a haven so the residents had somewhere to hide form cormorants and fished on next peg.. I couldn't keep them out of it. Broke me twice until I gave in and used my barbel rod.

Never saw this myself at Adams Mill but was witness to some other very unsavoury catch at all costs rule bending there when it was a syndicate…and by some big names of the time too!

Again going back to Thursday, after the flight into submerged branches etc, the carp do, as you so rightly say, twist the line round something. This then gives them some slack when the reverse as it were, so they then eject the hook which then sticks in a branch. Happens so often, I think not only do they know where they can hide but also do a houdini act. I think intelligent!

Just been in your area Richard,to the manor Hemingford grey. Wow, what a spot aside the river. In my favourite watering hole in cambs at the bridge inn huntingdon now. Didn't know h/g existed let alone see it. I have missed more than I realised.

I was talking to my brother who gave up coarse fishing 30 years ago. We were discussing the way barbel fishing with rods pointing to the sky and the savage takes we had on the Dorset Stour & Hampshire Avon.
Now today it’s rods into the water and back leads, he could not believe how we do it and the complete change of fishing style.
Yes low rods on Stour/Avon. Higher but not really high on the Severn because of the rocks. I use a backlead off the rod top to avoid drifting weed or stick the rod down touching the bottom if it's really bad weed but prefer to watch the rod top if I can. The backlead is to avoid drifting weed. I think personally it potentially can scare the fish more than no backlead when fished off the rod top if drawn fairly tight. Imagine how it runs along at angles over rocks and weed gathering bits of drifting crud. Backleads 3 feet above the lead are different and are there to pin things down not avoid weed.

Back