• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod pod for pike fishing

Sam Pottage

Hi all,

Usually when I go pike fishing, the venues I fish are soft ground into which I secure bank sticks directly in line with my reel which allows me to clip my Fox drop arm indicators on to.

I am planning on fishing a venue with platforms and hard pegs.

My question is, how can I modify a rod pod that allows the drop arm indicators to be directly in line with the reels? Or can anybody suggest a decent pod that would require no/minimal tinkering?

Most of the pods I have looked at have vertical supports that don't align with the reels meaning that the swingers would be clipped at an angle to the reel, which is not ideal.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

I have used a standard Solar pod in the past whilst Piking on landing stages and concrete urban swims....with a variety of homemade drop offs and shop bought too....I have never experienced any problems with drop offs not falling back or dropping off when a take occurs;) Old school swinger set under the butt rest should see the swinger head directly below the reel and therefore in the optimum position:D

I have also used stage stands in the past which work really well if you dont want to use a pod at all....you can set the rods pointing directly at the bait which further minimises resistance on the pick up and would be my preference if I was on a venue with stages/hard swims:cool::cool:

Paul

Thanks boys,

I like the idea of the Fox X Pod, 2 rods are fine as I only buy one license anyway.

I only wish I had your knack for working around a problem Paul with regards homemade indicators etc!

Pod

I doubt if this is going to be much help Sam,
I made my own pod for piking and incorporated an adjustable crossbar on the rear upright. Works a treat!

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4906-scan0066.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4905-scan0065.jpg

All the best Dave T

Last edited:
Sam, all you have to do is to take a couple of adjustable banksticks and stick them in the ground directly below the rods on the pod. The drop-off indicators can then be clipped to these. Not too much weight and a simple solution.

I doubt if this is going to be much help Sam,
I made my own pod for piking and incorporated an adjustable crossbar on the rear upright. Works a treat!

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4906-scan0066.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4905-scan0065.jpg

All the best Dave T

Very nice ,Dave, but I have a question, where did you get the 3 way leg supports?
I have made several pods, almost from scratch,but have had to manufacture the 3 way leg supports from solid perspex... with lots of cutting, glueing, drilling,and tapping .The vertical bars, and horizontals are no problem.

Dave.

Sam, all you have to do is to take a couple of adjustable banksticks and stick them in the ground directly below the rods on the pod. The drop-off indicators can then be clipped to these. Not too much weight and a simple solution.

Anthony,

That's a good idea for soft ground but the platforms are such that this is not viable.

I'm envious of these home made, "custom" pods however!

Engineers anarak post.

Apologies to those who thought this was an angling thread!:D
Dave,..
The complete pod was machined from thick gauge alloy tube, alloy stock bar and stainless steel [ for all threaded fittings ].
The only bits I did'nt make were the buzzer bars.
All components were anodised black and silver.
The legs were designed to pivot back along the main strut and are locked in place with threaded collars.
The whole thing is completely over-engineered, but it has proved to be a useful bit of bling!
dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4910-2014-01-10-18-17-22.jpg
dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4907-2014-01-10-18-11-31.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4909-2014-01-10-18-12-15.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture4908-2014-01-10-18-11-56.jpg

Bet you wished you never asked now!
All the best
Dave T

Last edited:
Dave, that must be THE best pod I have seen, and to be honest well beyond my home made capabilities, thanks for the pics.

Dave

Hope my governer is reading this!:D
Not so difficult when you have a complete engineering workshop at your disposal;)

Back