• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod/line rating

Danny Payne

Hi this might sound stupid but is the line rating of a float rod the maximum line you can use befor the rod snaps first or is it ok to go up by a couple of pound e.g 1lb-5lb rod rating, use 7lb line? Sorry in advance for my silly questions?

I don't really believe in line rating tbh I believe it's all about knowing your tackle and what your equipment is capable of, lower rating line always performs better on a rod, But it's good sport with light rods it's all about playing the fish imho!
Regards

I do look at line rating on a rod, especially float rods where power is the word, I wont touch one with a line rating of less than 8lb, then again if it says 2 to 8lb and with a quick waggle and a look if you know your rods then you will know it should be able to cope well with silvers also.
Its there as a guide thats all and instead of checking every rod, like I did years ago in lots of tackle shops, you can put your hand on the rods you want. Drennan market it differently they have rods saying Tench, puddlechucker and silverfish for the numerically dyslexic.....:eek:

The line won't break the rod, it's the angler on the other end pulling the other way, its doesn't matter want line you decide to use just take your time when playing the fish ;)

I can remember Keith Arthur saying on tight lines that a quick guide to what line to use on a rod was to times the test curve between 4-7. So 1lb tc rod would be ideal for lines between 4-7lb. Not sure how true it is but it's something I still use to this day.

I can remember Keith Arthur saying on tight lines that a quick guide to what line to use on a rod was to times the test curve between 4-7. So 1lb tc rod would be ideal for lines between 4-7lb. Not sure how true it is but it's something I still use to this day.

Useful on rods which show the test curve, whereas Float Rods Generally don't, like Jon said, have a feel.

In my youth (a very long time ago now!), the rule of thumb was 3 times the rod test curve was the lightest line you could use, 5x was the ideal and 7x was the heaviest so that for a 1lb TC, the minimum recommended line strength was 3lb bs, the ideal 5lb and the heaviest 7lb bs.

However, that was in the days of fibre glass rods and lines of inferior quality to today. I'm sure that with the modern lines and the forgiving nature of the best carbon rods these days, you can get away with lighter/heavier lines but the key point is that you have to adapt your 'playing' approach to the tackle and obviously don't try to bully fish on light lines or play fish too hard on stronger tackle..........

Dave

In my youth (a very long time ago now!), the rule of thumb was 3 times the rod test curve was the lightest line you could use, 5x was the ideal and 7x was the heaviest so that for a 1lb TC, the minimum recommended line strength was 3lb bs, the ideal 5lb and the heaviest 7lb bs.

However, that was in the days of fibre glass rods and lines of inferior quality to today. I'm sure that with the modern lines and the forgiving nature of the best carbon rods these days, you can get away with lighter/heavier lines but the key point is that you have to adapt your 'playing' approach to the tackle and obviously don't try to bully fish on light lines or play fish too hard on stronger tackle..........

Dave

Not sure I understand that comment, surely the advice is to always fish with the strongest tackle you can and play fish as hard as possible to ensure you don't drag it out and tire them unnecessarily!!

I still use a similar method i first read described by John Wilson. To find the ideal line rating of the rod multiply the test curve by 4 for the lower limit, 5 for the ideal, and 6 for the upper limit. Most of my Barbel fishing uses lines from 8 to 12lb, and my prefered choice is 10lb Big Game so a rod with a test curve of 2lb best suits my fishing. Using a higher breaking strain line than is recomended will not usually break the rod - but it will bottom out, meaning the rod has lost it's effectiveness as a playing tool.

But again, the question was about float rods, which do not give a test curve, they give a line recommendation!!

Not sure I understand that comment, surely the advice is to always fish with the strongest tackle you can and play fish as hard as possible to ensure you don't drag it out and tire them unnecessarily!!

This is what I thought the reason I asked this question is iv got a greys GTEC 13ft which is rated from 1 to 5lb line an recently started to use a pin with 5 lb line on, this is to fish a pool close to me that has a good stock off different fish from gudgeon to large carp and aparrently a few barbel so want to fish as light as possible but don't want to leave 9/10lb carp carrying round my hook length with them because I fished to light so I need a happy medium an just wanted to know if I'd be safe to step up to 7/8lb line on the same rod?

Danny, with a pin and 5lb line you would be absolutely fine with Carp up to 15lbs at least, just don't play them on a very short line or clamp down on the spool too hard, you'll be fine. If you feel you want to use 7b you will be fine too, you will feel the rod start to lock up a long while before it breaks, then you can let pressure off the spool. If that makes sense.

I did think that Ian I just wanted to make sure iv been practicing with the pin on still water getting ready for a bit of trotting in the new season!

This is what I thought the reason I asked this question is iv got a greys GTEC 13ft which is rated from 1 to 5lb line an recently started to use a pin with 5 lb line on, this is to fish a pool close to me that has a good stock off different fish from gudgeon to large carp and aparrently a few barbel so want to fish as light as possible but don't want to leave 9/10lb carp carrying round my hook length with them because I fished to light so I need a happy medium an just wanted to know if I'd be safe to step up to 7/8lb line on the same rod?

That Greys rod is really on the light side for carp and dare I say Barbel:rolleyes: It would be fine for silvers and Bream, but probably under gunned for carp barbel and tench, I would always match the rod to the species & b/s line, so suggest you step up to a 'power' waggler rod and not compromise with using heavier line on that rod, or the 'action' will suffer resulting in possible hook pulls or worse.
Mind you match rods can be very good for handling big fish, with it's big parabolic action, and with some expertise and a quality reel /clutch there is not a problem. But as stated lengthy fights with bigger fish is never good.

Danny, if its any help, i use a greys barbel rod with a 1.5lb tc for my tench/carp fishing. Either float fishing, or holding the line between finger and thumb using a small bomb or feeder. Tench/carp up to 8lb/10lb, ( if i,m very very lucky ). I,ll use 8lb line if their having it, but if its slow, i,ll drop down to 6lb. I find the Greys rods have a lot of power low down, but quite sensitive tips, compared to a Harrison 1.6lb rod that i have, that bends all the way through. Hope this helps a little.

But again, the question was about float rods, which do not give a test curve, they give a line recommendation!!

They do, but the principle remains the same. Danny wouldn't be able to exert anymore pressure on a fish with a 7lb line than he would using a 5lb line with that particular rod because it lacks power, the only advantage would be the higher abrasion resistance of the thicker line. If the situation requires a heavier line to extract the fish quickly and safely then a more powerful float rod would also be required. It's all about balance, as you know Ian. ;):)

Ian,

Perhaps I didn't express myself too clearly in my earlier post. What I was trying to say was that upping the line strength would not be beneficial if the rod could not handle it, and could be disastrous if too much pressure was exerted on the rod, causing it to fail.

I fully appreciate that fish should be played as hard and as quickly as possible to avoid exhausting them but that has to be balanced with the tackle used. A 40lb carp can be landed on 2lb line but 12 - 15lb would be more appropriate with a rod to match. Part of the enjoyment is in playing the fish and although we don't want to see fish being played for extended periods because of inadequate tackle, I can't see the pleasure in hauling out fish on rods that are like pokers and line to match.

Dave

Chaps, fishing a heavier line with fish like Carp gives you a chance to not crack off if the fish changes direction quickly, especially in close, I.e. before you have chance to take pressure off the spool. I would agree it can be a problem on a fixed spool reel but this thread is talking about playing fish on a centrepin, totally different thing completely. For the record, how many on here, fishing pins for Barbel will quite happily use 25lb or heavier b.s. braid on a 1 1/2 lb tc rod? It is no different!

For the record, how many on here, fishing pins for Barbel will quite happily use 25lb or heavier b.s. braid on a 1 1/2 lb tc rod? It is no different!

Anyone? :p If you are the type to run 25lb braid through a rod ideally suited to lines of a maximum of 10-12lb and you happen to break a rod - don't mention what line you were using when you take it back to the shop! :D

Back