• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod line rating question

Scott Emery

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,

I'll be picking up a Drennan Acolyte Specimen rod soon which according to the Drennan website is rated for 3lb to 7lb line. I'll be fishing for chub and barbel that generally go to around the low double mark (all the ones I've caught have been smaller than this though) on a small river. I'd like to use 8lb mainline so my question is even though the rod is only rated for 7lb, would it be unwise for me to use 8lb line? I've heard it said before that manufacturers generally state max breaking strain limits that are a bit lower than what the rod can actually manage. Any truth in this, as long as one does not exceed it by too great a margin? Or...do you think I should be ok sticking to 6lb (I don't think I've seen 7lb before) for the type of fishing I'll be doing? Is 8lb a bit too heavy for trotting (with a centrepin)?

Thanks everyone.

This rod is grossly underrated.
It’s a very specialized piece of kit imo and a true barbel bashing float rod no question about it.

I’d have no concerns whatsoever with ringing any of the models up with 10lb line.

I don’t own one but I’ve used one and caught chub on it which isn’t a pleasant experience due to the sheer brutality in the rods stiff action
Lighter lines would be more concerning because it takes a lot of pressure to get it doubled right over.

You’ll be absolutely fine with your 8lb mono all day every day.

A number of barbel anglers use braid for float fishing and the breaking strain is normally north of 10lb but obviously very low diameter
I use braid on a couple of my float rods and had no issues at all but I don’t catch low doubles very often
Maybe have a look at a YouTube channel called Andrew Knots, there is some interesting stuff on there on float fishing for barbel with braid. I borrowed his set up and very happy with it tbh

A number of barbel anglers use braid for float fishing and the breaking strain is normally north of 10lb but obviously very low diameter
I use braid on a couple of my float rods and had no issues at all but I don’t catch low doubles very often
Maybe have a look at a YouTube channel called Andrew Knots, there is some interesting stuff on there on float fishing for barbel with braid. I borrowed his set up and very happy with it tbh
Andrews knots is very innovative, he brings a different approach likely from his Eastern European heritage.

I use 6lb daiwa sensor through my specimen accies. The 6lb sensor breaks above the 6lb, possibly over 7lbs and it is quite abrasion resistant. Personally I wouldn't use any heavier line than the 6lb sensor, i'm quite sure the rod would snap well before the line on a straight pull so pointless to use anything higher breaking strain imo.
I've never had a barbel that has been capable of snapping 6lb sensor in a straight pull.

I've caught accidental double figure pike and carp on 4lb Dave Harrell Match Float line and 6lb Daiwa Hyper Sensor, when perch and chub fishing.

I think the breaking strains of lines in general are underrated - maybe the way they test them has nothing to do with actual fishing situations, but if float fishing you don't have to worry about abrasion, gravel beds and so on, so there's even less to worry about.

I use strong lines for my floating fishing due to the swinm conditions, some are snaggy, I have to contend with when fishing the river Wharfe.

I am not concerned about the rod to line rating ratio as the only situations that I have experienced where their is a risk of damaging my rod had been when I am snagged up. I retrieve the float by hand pulling on the line.

Back