• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod length help

Hi all, just looking for some help/info on rods, still in the process of getting a barbel setup together and have my eye on some 11ft 1.75lb rods but I'm concerned about the length... Will 11ft be ok on the rivers I'm looking to fish (Hampshire Avon and Dorset stour)?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

A 12 foot rod is more versatile, particularly if you want to keep the tip up to keep line out of the flow or hold a bait on the edge of a near-bank snag. Why are you looking at 11ft? I think a 12 foot rod can do everything as well as an 11ft one with the possible exception of rolling baits.

Hi, to be honest I have been looking at 12ft rods but I have been offered the 11ft rods from a friend, they are infact carp rods but being 1.75lb TC they grabbed my attention!

I used too use 11 footers on the Wye with no problems at all.

I sod the rods on a while ago, wish i still had them.

11ft rods are more powerful than 12ft versions

11ft rods are fine for small and medium rivers

11ft rods are fine for big rivers - I use 11ft rods for the Trent, and had no trouble with 8ft of extra water on a few weeks ago

It's another of these questions, and it's horses for courses

11ft 1.75lb tc rods are ideal for barbel, for me, others might prefer to say otherwise - it's opinions, not facts :)

paul4

Not one to cause offence but.......................... contrary to David's comments, I prefer a 12 foot rod for rolling. The extra length gives a better pick up of line and therefore a better strike through the meat. Why Would an 11 foot rod be better?

On the Avon, nothing over 1.75 T/C is more than enough.

As ever, each to theri own.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

You said "contrary to David's comments, I prefer a 12 foot rod for rolling" where I'm sure he said he preferred a 12ft rod also ................ but whatever :)

A 12ft rod will not give a better pick up line - you may find it suits you and therefore it's the right choice for you. I'd have thought the action of the rod would be more important than the length per se ............ but whatever :)

Ray Walton is (in my opinion) likely the greatest exponent of rolling meat for barbel, and he advocates a, 11ft rod - makes you think?

I don't care for "flavour of the month / year" rods. I just listened, a few years ago, to a well know rod builder who told me that an 11ft XXXXX was the best blank for a barbel rod; I built several rods using that blank and I still reckon that's right ..... for me!

paul4

Really? I thought it was the other way around:confused:

No, sorry, it's my belief that I am correct :)

Quoting from Roger McCourtney's article Rod Making in the 21st Century

If we are to use "test curve" as the criteria to gauge the suitability of a blank or rod we must decide on what length of rod we want. An 11 foot 1 ½ lb. t.c. Rod will feel stiffer (more powerful) than a 12 foot rod of the same test curve that has been built using the same materials and assuming that the handle position is more or less the same on both rods. But because we have changed the position of the fulcrum the whole dynamic has changed, so the longer rod will be slower to reach it’s test curve, this gives the impression that it is "softer" or less powerful. It isn’t in fact; it just takes longer to reach its test curve potential. This is why "snag" or so-called "stalking " rods are short. The short rod enables the angler to exploit the power of the rod really quickly.

.......... but I will stand corrected if anyone says I'm not right, or I have misunderstood.

paul4

11 versus 12

Plenty of pro's and con's with both rods but remember a 11 foot may just give you the edge in a tight swim perhaps when fishing under branches

Problem is that if 11ft is not long enough then there's a fair chance that a 12 footer isn't either, what really would be good is an 11- 11'6" with a dolly section to take it to 13 foot ala all good feeder rods. Oh and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't need to be as pokey as 1lb 12oz either.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that Simon - i thought about a post earlier regarding 11' rods as i used an 11' avon ( original Wilson ) for years on the middle Trent without problems. They eventually got upgraded to the newer 11-13' version which are great. In recent years i've been through various 12' mid range off the shelf barbel rods ( Greys/Drennans etc ) and do use one most of the time ( a 12' 2.25 ) but still use the 11' ers and also purchased a 13' 2.5lb monster for when the spate floods come. There is a distinct lack of choice when it comes to 11' and 13' rods in the mid price market but i suppose that sector just reflects popular opinion regarding what a Barbel rod should be.

Thanks for the replies so far, as I do a fair bit of trotting on the river I'm often using rods up to 17ft so 11ft seems short but it sounds as if they will be fine, still not going to rush into getting them tho as I have learnt from experience "buy in haste...regret at leisure".

No, sorry, it's my belief that I am correct :)

Quoting from Roger McCourtney's article Rod Making in the 21st Century

If we are to use "test curve" as the criteria to gauge the suitability of a blank or rod we must decide on what length of rod we want. An 11 foot 1 ½ lb. t.c. Rod will feel stiffer (more powerful) than a 12 foot rod of the same test curve that has been built using the same materials and assuming that the handle position is more or less the same on both rods. But because we have changed the position of the fulcrum the whole dynamic has changed, so the longer rod will be slower to reach it’s test curve, this gives the impression that it is "softer" or less powerful. It isn’t in fact; it just takes longer to reach its test curve potential. This is why "snag" or so-called "stalking " rods are short. The short rod enables the angler to exploit the power of the rod really quickly.

.......... but I will stand corrected if anyone says I'm not right, or I have misunderstood.

paul4

Very interesting Paul, the bit I have highlighted seems to support what I thought was correct, but will need to have that verified. The princible of longer 'levers' equating to more power etc.
Cheers.

I would agree with Paul about more power in an 11ft. So if you are looking for power in a rod why not take this further and go 10ft or even 9? I personally don't want to fish with what would be the equivilent of a up tide rod, and have a preference for a 12ft with good through action. I find the extra length better for keeping clear of bank side vegetation, line pick up, and control of rolling meat. We all get a bit solipsistic about various bits of kit, but in the end it is what suits you. Buy it and try it!

Leverage, action and test curve. A through action will give less strain on you compared with a stiffer actioned rod.
11' blanks are often different to their 12' brothers - the 11' Torrix and 12' Torrix at 1.75 are an example of this, where the 11' Torrix is slimmer in diameter.
Me, having 'tried' a lot, the 11' is my preferred rod for where I fish most of the time.
Cheers
Bob

Back