• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod for the boot?

Nick Clark

Any recommendations for a spare 12/11ft 1.5lb rod that will keep/fit in the boot of a hatch back car? have read that a Greys Prodigy 3pc (but not the TX) might be the answer, it needs to be no more than a metre long when packed up and would help me go away with the family without having to put the back seat down.

Thanks fellas for any replies.

Peregrinerods do a lovely 4-piece 11ft 1.5tc rod, on a Harrison blank

Peregrine Rods

I have one and it's a great action

What about the shimano purist STC( shimano travel concept) breaks down quite small.

Another vote for the peregrine 4 piece avon cracking rod. Only sold mine as I now drive a transit and don't need to worry about it fitting into a boot.

Nasty, i got rid of mine.

Different strokes for different folks. I really like these, bought a second because I was so pleased with the first. Fairly fat blank compared to a better quality rod but pretty good action in my book. Made short work of an 18lb catfish on the River Aisne last month and have landed countless barbel and carp on mine. Not a Harrison by any stretch of the imagination but bearing in mind they're available for about 50 quid if you hunt around I think that makes them a bargain!

Different strokes for different folks. I really like these, bought a second because I was so pleased with the first. Fairly fat blank compared to a better quality rod but pretty good action in my book. Made short work of an 18lb catfish on the River Aisne last month and have landed countless barbel and carp on mine. Not a Harrison by any stretch of the imagination but bearing in mind they're available for about 50 quid if you hunt around I think that makes them a bargain!
Fair enough, that old saying, you get what you pay for.

you could probably find a 3pc prodigy on ebay,,1.5tc,,nice and light,,ive read negatives on greys rods like most other rods ,but I had good barbell and carp to over 20 on mine,,would still use it now had I not somehow mislaid a section.

Thanks for all the comments, the Peregrine rod looks perfect but at £200 is probably over my budget for a spare rod. I'm still thinking about the Grey's prodigy 3 piece, but not finding too much information about any other than the newer TX ones. So I'll be scouting ebay or posting in 'wanted' it'd be good to know what I'm looking for - a decent 1.5lb rod that fits in the boot.

Cheers guys

Try Anglers Workshop Nick?

The Youngs 5 piece is a decent choice for an in the boot rod, cheap enough, buy 2, I,ve used mine for salmon with no problems, nice action, light in the hand, will handle any barbel etc, I wouldn,t trust it with a huge lead, upto 3oz no worries.
peter

Back