• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod for rolling

Steven Ballard

been looking for answers but cant find them, I know there will be conflicting opinions, but what rods do you use for rolling meat?
I cant decide on what to get
12-11ff? make etc
cheers, Steve

Steve

Personally I would choose a shorter rod as your holding it all day. Have a look at my 4 piece Greys stalker tomorrow mate, you can feel the difference in weight at 9ft compared to 12ft. this may give you an idea of what lenth you feel comfortable with. I also have a 4 piece 11ft Peregrine. You're welcome to try them when we go for a session mate.

Cheers
Jas

Its not just the rod to consider, the reel also, they need to balance, get that right and it makes life easy, generally the lighter the better, within reason, depending on the average size of your target fish. I,ve caught plenty of fish using the rolling method, and now use the same, or similar technique hunting salmon, the rod/reel balance is critical, took me several trials and a good deal of expense finding the right reel to correctly balance the rod, but the difference is "feel", get it right and bites are more sensed than seen on the rodtop, plus you can hold the rod allday without tiring!
peter

Hi Steve

Torrix 1.75 11foot & 1500 shimano light enough to hold all day, weight of rod and reel is a big consideration as you holding the rod in one hand most of the time.

Ive heard the hexagraph is ideal for a pike rod hugo!!!!

I did not know that Ray Walton fished for pike.
;)

Hexagraphs come with various testcurves, 1lb, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 1 3/4. Such adaptable rods that you could even catch pike with them.
:D

Ray designed them with trundling in mind, ergo, rolling!

As ever

Hugo

When i used to go rolling i used an 11 foot harrison 1lb 6oz with a shortened butt (20 inch). This coupled with a 54 done the trick. This was 15 years ago though :eek:

Have a look at the "rolling" torrix option on Mark Tunley's site, match this with a shimi 4000F and retire.

Agree, 1.75 Torrix, 11' - I seem to sale quite a few of them for this purpose.
Also great rod for general use, I use both 1.75 and 2lb 11' Torrix.

Cheers
Bob

Back