• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod delivery system

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
As mentioned on previous posts/threads, the price of posting rods has sky rocketed. Up to £40 and above. I am willing to collect and deliver a rod of any length, for 50p per mile. I have the perfect vehicle, a hackney cab. Will take rods up to 7ft in length. So as an example, a rod direct from liverpool to manchester, approx 30 miles, would cost you £15, plus collection miles. If this is of any help to anyone, just give me a shout.

I’m a bit lost here Derek.
You live in Liverpool right?

So this is obviously for local runs close to your home I’d imagine?

At 50p a mile you certainly wouldn’t be asked to go too far down the m6

P.S. 50p a mile is by no means a set price, that was just an example. each member could set their own at their vehicles running costs, and time. etc.

Hi Richard, if we all offered this service to other members, it could possibly save us all a few quid, just a thought. 🤷‍♂️
Not knocking it Derek it’s a very thoughtful and good idea. Great for local ones

The problem I always find is they are never 30 or 40 or even 60 miles away. I’d just nip out and get it if it was

Usually 200 miles away for the real gems.
Usually On your doorstep Derek when I want them 🤣

Parcelforce 48 have very recently increased their prices for large parcel delivery I recently made an enquiry the price I was quoted was up by over £5.00 for a twelve foot rod.

We have a system on another forum.. If a member /driver is travelling up and down the country, we put up a post giving the time and date . Anybody who has tackle items that need transported from A to B on the drivers journey just PM’s the driver , and an arrangement is made for the delivery , the delivery of the said item to the driver is arranged between them .
It works very well. I have collected / delivered several items between West Yorks, Cornwall, Liverpool , Norfolk and several places in between. It usually involves a small detour, or we arrange to meet up at a Motorway services to drop off the goods.

Maybe this could be made to work on here ? This forum is quite a bit larger than the forum I have mentioned above so there could be more scope for deliveries ?

Any remuneration for the service is strictly between the interested parties. I myself have never actually charged for the time or detour , as my thoughts on the matter are “ What goes around comes around “ An offer of few quid is always appreciated though I would say .

David

During a postal strike in the 1970''s a document exchange system was devised very quickly in professional offices throughout the county. It was called document exchange. Centres in near by towns were set up so people going home dropped mail off at their nearest centre and collected for return trips. Sounds antiquated now but if clubs throughout the country were willing to do the same then it could be set up .
I assure you it worked. It grew too, heard of DX?

I do wonder what type of arrangement tackle shops have... you can buy a 12ft rod from AD delivered anywhere in UK for under £40!

Back