• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod advice please

Pete Collins

Hi all I,m after rod recommendations for casting 4oz and on occasions up to 6oz feeders (empty) to around 50 to 60 metres ...I currently have a pair of Harrison torrix 12 foot 1.75 t/c rods which are great but find using loaded 4oz feeders is perhaps putting to much strain on them when casting ...so just using a gentle over head flick ....so looking for a higher t/c rod for casting a bit further when using 4-6 oz feeders ....would rather buy a Harrison torrix ? or chimera ? or maybe a Daiwa basia barbel rod or other ..would be good to hear some feedback on what you would consider my best option before I buy
Thanks in advance
Pete

Most torrix blanks are not designed to cast heavy feeders, except 12ft 2.25, but I don’t think it can handle a loaded 5oz feeder. Maybe chimera no3 and basia is more suitable for your needs.

Don’t exclude daiwa powermesh, really nice and powerful rods.

The chimera 3 or basia 2.75 would do that task best out of your short list.
Torrix’s are a little faster in action meaning they are more suited to casting lighter loads but probably a lot further

I’d go chimera 3 if I wanted to put 5oz 50 yards.
I’d go torrix 2.5lb if I wanted to put 2.5oz 100 yards if that makes sense.

Hi Dimitri what test curve are your chimera 3s ?
Dave built mine too. Very powerful but forgiving rods.
They state them as a 2.25lb but they are very unrated in my opinion.
I’d say 2.5 plus
6oz 50yards absolutely no problem.

Basias are great too. Although if your going basia i would suggest going with the heaviest version 2.75 as they are a bit overstated on the tc power. Probably a smidge less powerful in casting abilities and power as a c3 but definitely able to do everything you want

You won’t go wrong with either.

Thanks lads 👍 ...looks like my best option is the chimera 3... the Basia looks a very nice rod except for the non anti frap top ring? ..won,t be needing the rod till next year so no immediate rush to get one ...will put call out for good secondhand one on the classified section ... failing that will give mark tunley a call about making me a custom built chimera as he's quite local to me

I read a few rod threads on here of late and feel that in describing a rods capabilities, it is a test curve that is seemingly used as an all important. Is it not the action that should be the more important criteria?

I read a few rod threads on here of late and feel that in describing a rods capabilities, it is a test curve that is seemingly used as an all important. Is it not the action that should be the more important criteria?
I think most people would agree.
Widely accepted that TC is only a part of the thought process - it’s a pointer to a rod’s capacity for payloads
Within a TC bracket indiviidual blanks vary hugely - Torrix and Chimera are very very different actions
At the end of the day it’s then down to individual preference
Yesterday I preferred a C3
My pal a few pegs upstream used a 2lb Torrix
Same feeder weights , same distance casting
Both caught, both happy

I think most people would agree.
Widely accepted that TC is only a part of the thought process - it’s a pointer to a rod’s capacity for payloads
Within a TC bracket indiviidual blanks vary hugely - Torrix and Chimera are very very different actions
At the end of the day it’s then down to individual preference
Yesterday I preferred a C3
My pal a few pegs upstream used a 2lb Torrix
Same feeder weights , same distance casting
Both caught, both happy
Well, that's it isn't it - it's just a pointer isn't it and a small one at that. Wouldn't it be of benefit to anglers for rod builders to advise on producing a rod over what length that test curve is achieved?

Couldn’t agree more. Action and casting weight.

The issue is we are all so used to the TC system as useless as it is especially when comparing fast and slow tapered blanks.

Rod builders know it’s crap and of little use to describe a rod but they also know if they started describing action and casting weight, the follow on question they’ll get from that will still be “what’s the test curve”

We are stuck with it.

Back