• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rocking Horse S***

Paul Barlow

Don't find one of these every day 😎 Reel lines 3-10lb, wow. Straight off the shelf condition.

A decent whisker from the deeper pegs at lucksall on a 20ft rod. Got a learning curve coming I think.

Attachments

• 20230610_132309.jpg
    20230610_132309.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 20230610_132314.jpg
    20230610_132314.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 20230610_132324.jpg
    20230610_132324.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 270
Great rod at 17ft, had quite a few Barbel on one of these.... just wondering why I sold it now.... top buy too looks like an M2?

Doing the research and it is sm2 but has no red graphics, and a full cork handle no duplon, more research required or a Daiwa expert I think.

Anyone got any info about this rod having a cork handle when the other M2 I see have some red graphics and a duplon mixture butt?

Picked up a Daiwa 17/20 conny few years ago although didn't have a line rating on it.I reckon it's around 3/10.
When Using it at 20ft a wide extendable rod rest is useful.

I have the 2010 Daiwa catalogue in front of me. It doesn't show a picture of any identifiable model of Spectron M2 rod. However, those they do show all have a tiny sliver of EVA on the foregrip. There's also an inset picture of an Armlock handle showing a bit of EVA at the butt. I can confirm that your rod has the same SM2-1720 model number as is in the catalogue. The stated recommended lines are also 3-10lb. The catalogue also stated a weight of 10.4oz (Approx 295g), style as being River/Control, rings as being Fuji Alconite and the RRP as £335 (nearly £500 adjusted for inflation). The Spectron M2 range was also in the 2011 catalogue.

In the 2012 catalogue, the Spectron M2 was replaced by the Connoisseur G range. The equivalent 17/20' Connoisseur G had the same specs bar the weight increasing to 11oz (312g). The RRP increased to £375. The Connoisseur G range also happened to include the last spliced tip model that Daiwa produced (unless they've snuck one in without me noticing.

In turn, the Connoisseur G was replaced by the (new) Spectron range in the 2014 catalogue. This incarnation of the 17/20'er was the SPM1720-AU. It weighed in at 10.4oz (295g), had a stated line rating of 2-8lb and had an RRP of £340. This incarnation of Spectron rod was still in the last hardcopy catalogue I have from 2016. IIRC, it may have been succeeded by the Dave Harrell endorsed Tournament RS rods. I know this range included a 15'er and there may have been a 17'er. However, I don't think there was a 17/20' rod.

I have the 2010 Daiwa catalogue in front of me. It doesn't show a picture of any identifiable model of Spectron M2 rod. However, those they do show all have a tiny sliver of EVA on the foregrip. There's also an inset picture of an Armlock handle showing a bit of EVA at the butt. I can confirm that your rod has the same SM2-1720 model number as is in the catalogue. The stated recommended lines are also 3-10lb. The catalogue also stated a weight of 10.4oz (Approx 295g), style as being River/Control, rings as being Fuji Alconite and the RRP as £335 (nearly £500 adjusted for inflation). The Spectron M2 range was also in the 2011 catalogue.

In the 2012 catalogue, the Spectron M2 was replaced by the Connoisseur G range. The equivalent 17/20' Connoisseur G had the same specs bar the weight increasing to 11oz (312g). The RRP increased to £375. The Connoisseur G range also happened to include the last spliced tip model that Daiwa produced (unless they've snuck one in without me noticing.

In turn, the Connoisseur G was replaced by the (new) Spectron range in the 2014 catalogue. This incarnation of the 17/20'er was the SPM1720-AU. It weighed in at 10.4oz (295g), had a stated line rating of 2-8lb and had an RRP of £340. This incarnation of Spectron rod was still in the last hardcopy catalogue I have from 2016. IIRC, it may have been succeeded by the Dave Harrell endorsed Tournament RS rods. I know this range included a 15'er and there may have been a 17'er. However, I don't think there was a 17/20' rod.
Great info mate thank you. I'm starting to build my own Daiwa catalogue collection as we speak.

They got a lot of things spot on with match rods did daiwa. I’m not familiar with the most current ranges but certainly 10-20 years ago they had some absolutely cracking rods.

One thing with daiwas is not to pay too much attention to the overall rods weight. Or at least without understanding why they are a little more on the weighty side in general.

The arm lock grip is a very chunky piece of cork behind your reel and this alone puts quite afew grams onto the rod where other lighter rods with very slim handles don’t come in as heavy.
This arm lock grip balances out the weight beautifully with out being over compensating and as a result it’s not very often you pick up a nose heavy high end daiwa.

You’ll also notice particularly on the first 2-3 guides that the stand off is quite massive. I don’t own a float rod with a guide stand off as good as my spectrons. 42mm on the butt ring and the rest follow suit very nicely right the way down.
Again this adds weight but for me it’s it’s a very welcome weight addition as these are my best performers in the soaking wet rain when shorter guides are causing occasional presentation issues.

SM2 products are definitely spectrons unless daiwa used the same code for other models

For comparison here's the M1 a guy has on ebay for parts. I think I've got it now yes, there are early mark M1s and M2s then the relaunched M2 sometime later with red on the blank and duplon on the handles

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611-150522_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611-150522_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20230611-150027_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611-150027_Facebook.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20230611-150013_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611-150013_Facebook.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 97
With the silver monogram area like your picture above that’s the original mk1 spectron rods.
Then we had the m2 version which is what I think you have. Here’s my version which is the 14ft xtra power model. Does yours look like this?
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg

Then there was the newest version which were the same blanks and rings used but some differences to the handle and graphics
Here is my Version which is also a multi length. 13/15. Cracking rods and I think this is the model/era that came after yours.
IMG_0378.jpeg

With the silver monogram area like your picture above that’s the original mk1 spectron rods.
Then we had the m2 version which is what I think you have. Here’s my version which is the 14ft xtra power model. Does yours look like this?View attachment 24064View attachment 24065
Then there was the newest version which were the same blanks and rings used but some differences to the handle and graphics
Here is my Version which is also a multi length. 13/15. Cracking rods and I think this is the model/era that came after yours. View attachment 24066
Hi Richard. Think we've solved it, it is the old version M2. I do like the look of the new ones though.

Hi Richard. Think we've solved it, it is the old version M2. I do like the look of the new ones though.
From what I can tell Paul the blanks seem near on identical between both models. It seems just the handle and graphics that are different. I prefer the more subtle full cork version of the older one I think

Sensible offers invited, send me a message. Thanks to all for precious advice.

It looks like this tackle finding and buying mullarky may become a bit of a hobby. Strange after owning the same few rods for between 20 and 40 years.

Went down by one a few years ago when my totally beloved B&W CFR13 I'd had from been a kid exploded at the second section spigot with something big on at the Trammels on the Royalty. That was an event! Still got the butt 🥰 Was butt hurt though that day, badly.

Sensible offers invited, send me a message. Thanks to all for precious advice.

It looks like this tackle finding and buying mullarky may become a bit of a hobby. Strange after owning the same few rods for between 20 and 40 years.

Went down by one a few years ago when my totally beloved B&W CFR13 I'd had from been a kid exploded at the second section spigot with something big on at the Trammels on the Royalty. That was an event! Still got the butt 🥰 Was butt hurt though that day, badly.
Previous.

Don't see many of these either. This will be my new loafer/Avon wielding barbel bender 😎

Attachments

• 20230629_064214.jpg
    20230629_064214.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 111
Back