• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Graham...................Wow ! Not from my stream I hope ;):D !

Lol No Paul, but this one is;)

Redfin.jpg

Lovely fish Graham.

I recently watched someone trotting for roach on a old video my dad has. Cant remember off the top of my head who/where/when. But the image burned now into my head now as this angler played a roach of 3lb+ is one i hope i can share someday. I know, HUGE dream, especially where I live.

But there is something 'lived in' about the look of a big roach. They're an amazing fish.

Every journey needs a first step though so a two pounder this season I hope. On the float. Im waking up now... :p

Same here Vincent, 2lb river roach this winter would make my season... A 3lber would make my life.. Can't wait.

Why the need for it to be a river roach Darren? A 2lb lake roach is probably roughly the same age as a river roach of that size, has probably survived a similar set of hazards and trials and tribulations to reach that size. Just seems a bit unfair on the lake roach to me :(

Cheers, Dave.

No snobbery, just my ambition mate. Plus it's less distance and cheaper, living minutes from several rivers, but among a drought of decent stillwaters.

Same as id like to be lucky enough to catch a 13lb barbel, but from the Severn. I'd be as delighted with a 13lber from, say, the Teme or w. Avon as I would a 2lb Stillwater roach, it's just the venue is important to me. Can't really explain why!

No snobbery, just my ambition mate. Plus it's less distance and cheaper, living minutes from several rivers, but among a drought of decent stillwaters.

Same as id like to be lucky enough to catch a 13lb barbel, but from the Severn. I'd be as delighted with a 13lber from, say, the Teme or w. Avon as I would a 2lb Stillwater roach, it's just the venue is important to me. Can't really explain why!

Fair enough Darren, not a lot wrong with that mate. I should have known better and minded my own business, because your posts are usually good common sense. I just get riled now and then at those who insist a fish has to be 'on the fly/from a river/NOT on a boilie/whatever, or they 'don't count' :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

To be fair to Darren I quite agree, for me a 2lb Roach has to come from a river, I have had 2lb fish from lakes but for me they do not really count.

I suppose I have been very lucky, I have fished with some superb anglers on rivers where there have been quality fish available to catch, it don't matter how good you are, if 2lb Roach are not there then even Billy Lane won't catch em.
Even so for me a 2lb Roach counts if I catch it on the float from a river, I have had 5 fish of over 2lb on the tip from a river including a fish of 2lb 11oz but as far as I am concerned my pb is 2lb 10oz coz I had that one on the stick float!

Does that make me a bit of a snob? That is an honest question, perhaps I have spent so much time (and bloody money) trying to catch a 3lb fish that it may have become too much of an obsession.

My old friend Gerry Swanton had 365 2lb Roach from The Avon but amongst them only one 3lb fish, so perhaps I still have a long way to go, perhaps my silly obsession may never be fulfilled but I shan’t stop trying!

Mind you I am still trying to get a really big Barbel on the float too!

Perhaps the fun is in the trying and not in the doing?

Tight lines chaps.

Hi men,

Still dabbling for them on the local canal , but other than the first couple of trips , they have been on the small size . Bonus fish through spraying maggots are the perch , here's a fish from a really short session today .

ec52b108-1.jpg

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men,

Don't know Steve , because iv thined down all my gear , the float stuff is in it's own small Korum bag , with no scales . . It was the fight that mattered really , I had an audience , and it really gave it the beans .

Hatter

Last edited:
Nice fish Mark, looks like the Perch are back on song after some years in decline, the WA is full of them again, to-day in the clear margins they could be seen doing what Perch do.
Gotta be near 3lb surely/ but your arms are a bit extended and your hands look huge:eek:

So anything between 6 ounces and 5lb then:p

2lb1roach.jpg
2lb 1oz River Test Roach. Anyone good at cleaning photo's up, I have a decent self take shot but its really over exposed. Any kind soul fancy looking at it for me please?

Last edited:
Back