• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rivers containing good heads of fish near Reading?

Hello All,

Good forum you have here with what seems a user base with extensive amounts of knowledge and experience.

The question I have for southern members here is as follows:

Are there any Rivers in the south eastern end of the country which contain a good amount of Barbel in?

I have recently become a member of my local club with the hope of nabbing a Barbel on one of our local stretches but the general consensus from the elder anglers is that number of barbel has DRAMATICALLY dropped in the last 10 years and you've had a good season if you land 3 in a year!

People tell me that you need to venture to the midlands if you're even wanting to have a half decent session these days but I'm hoping I can find a stretch within an hours or 2 drive from Reading .

Apologies if this question has been asked already but I have struggled to find rich information on the net which goes beyond "Barbel are in here"

Thanks for taking the time to read this First (true) Post

Kind Regards,

Daniel

I can't comment on South East rivers (I'm over the other side of the country), but what I will say RE you being told that there's no barbel left in your local - give it a few goes yourself before deciding. I was told much the same by nearly everyone I spoke to when I started back fishing last year and hit the Bristol Avon for the first time in nearly 20 years. Whilst early summer was hard going (as it typically would be anyway), I caught plenty of barbel as the year went on. Granted, none of them were huge - biggest went 7lb 6oz - but a fairly good haul was had, especially considering I was fishing parts of the BA I was totally unfamiliar with.

So don't write off your local stretches before at least trying them.

Daniel,
I would suggest that '3 a season' is a little drastic.
Although barbel numbers have tumbled on your local rivers kennet and Loddon over the last 10 years there are still good stretches that hold a good number of fish.
As well as these 2 rivers you have the Hants Avon just over an hours drive away and also the Dorset Stour a little further.
Plenty to go at certainly withing 90 minutes drive.
You also have the Warks Avon going in the other direction which I would guess is also within 90 minutes.

You are certainly in a great position for all these rivers, and lets not forget the Thames which has fished relatively well of late.

ATB
John

I have poured in probably 40+ hours into these stretches at all times of day/night.

I know that there's a few monsters residing since I witnessed one man pull out a 12lb'r and other gentlemen over the past month have pulled out 14, 15 & 17lb'rs

I had a go on the royalty fishery in Christ Church for 2 days running but didnt get anything unfortunately.

I will take a look into the rivers that you have suggested.

Thank you.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I fish the Loddon mainly and 40 hours without a bite isn't uncommon. I've had 11 fish this season from the Loddon - a few more than last season. Where are you fishing? PM if preferred.

I would say that your best chance for good numbers of Barbel would be to join Verulam angling club, based in St Albans.
http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/
Not too far from Reading and mostly motorway.
The upper Lea venues are pretty prolific, and there's Fishers green lower down, not so prolific but maybe some biggies left.
Likewise the Ouse fisheries.

There's also the Colne and the Gade near Watford or the Itchen near Southampton. Not Verulam waters.

Loddon really is very hard going,still a chance on the Kennet although much hard than it was it's been a while since I had more than 30 barbel in a season(I don't count my Wye holiday fish in that equation) probably 5years ago.
I find I'm barbel fishing much less than I used to,spending more time on the lakes fishing for tench and carp over the spring and summer,if my catch rate drops below a barbel ever other trip then I feel that life's too short to target them.
I didn't start fishing for barbel till late September as conditions just weren't right with loads of high pressure,height temperatures and low,clear water,I did manage to catch 7 barbel from 11 trips till I moved to chub when the water temperature dropped.
Others have done better than me I'm sure,it's just now I prefer to pick the conditions,maybe the drive to catch barbel it's so strong anymore

As mentioned the loddon is a hard river I've yet to break my duck but am being impatient as I've managed 3 4 hour trips in 2 years. There are still some nice fish in the Kenner. Yes not a patch on what it used to be but fish it properly and you can get more than 3 a year easily.

Back