• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye Pollution

Damian Kimmins

Although it is the Guardian there's no real reason to believe what they print is untrue.

I was once on a campaign to stop Hydraulic Fracturing in our locality (I am more than ok with oil and gas extraction but not fracking through our water source). Anyway, what I observed about planning committees is that they are generally totally ignorant of what they are voting for or against. They admitted that themselves when decisions were being made. That wasn't recorded in the minutes though.

With respect to the Wye chicken farms. Go ahead decisions are mostly driven by economic imperatives with consideration for the environment playing second fiddle.

There is action being taken by The Angling Trust, plus others to make sure that planning laws are followed. We can’t rely on government and their agencies to do the right thing anymore so legal action is being taken.

This forum has had many considered, and, in some cases, very technical views expressed about the pollution in the Wye.
I should imagine many reports have been written by concerned stakeholders concluding that, in the main, chicken farms are mainly responsible for the poisoning of the river.
However, like so many things in the UK there is no "joined up writing". What do I mean by this?
I mean that scientists, developers, entrepreneurs, MP's, business people, planners, Local Authorities, Central Government (the list is endless) all live in their own "bubble". When a multi million pound company says to a local cash-strapped Authority "I can create wealth in your local area", do you honestly think anyone considers the downside?
I'm reminded of Grenfell Tower. The local senior fire officer was not asked his opinion on the cladding. It had failed fire tests but was fitted anyway as there was no "joined up writing".
I give the Wye 10 years, by which time it will, technically, be a dead river.
On the bright side, we can all eat cheap battery house chicken!
I know what I'd prefer.

We need to campaign, not just for the wye; it is every river we love suffering from pollution from farming of different types. Paul you say give the wye ten years; what about the rivers that have the same outcome.
We will be left with sewers empty of fish, after all the big old unhealthy fish die. Can any river now support the bio-mass they used to?

Its a hard one to fathom for me, regardless of the pollution the Wye is still rammed with fish, especially chub and dace. However I do see a decline in mine and others barbel captures so once again it seems to be the barbel that's impacted most in these situations, anyone know why ?

We need to campaign, not just for the wye; it is every river we love suffering from pollution from farming of different types. Paul you say give the wye ten years; what about the rivers that have the same outcome.
We will be left with sewers empty of fish, after all the big old unhealthy fish die. Can any river now support the bio-mass they used to?
Hi Paul. I live in Norfolk and will say one thing: River Wensum. Still has fish in it but few, if any barbel and the big roach are confined to the history books. It may not have escaped your attention that Norfolk is mainly agricultural?!

Its a hard one to fathom for me, regardless of the pollution the Wye is still rammed with fish, especially chub and dace. However I do see a decline in mine and others barbel captures so once again it seems to be the barbel that's impacted most in these situations, anyone know why ?
Canary down the mine syndrome?

Back