• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye dogs allowed

Dave Brooksbank

Senior Member & Supporter
Thinking about venturing further out,and chosen the wye and will leave the Trent or severn for next season, Been doing some Googling and not having much luck finding a fishery that allows dogs, my mutt goes everywhere I fish where allowed.Any help appreciated.

Hi Dave. Hope you are well.

If you get stuck you could always fish the Ross Town stretch on DT.

I have pm you also.

hi maybe try the town stretches in Hereford. Im a member but cant see anything about dogs on my book but there are always people walking dogs along there so I cant see a problem if you had yours with you. The baliff always has his dogs with him also

Dave

Not that i would wish to contradict Graham, but Ross AC rules state no dogs, except the bailiffs, on any water - so even where there is a public footpath/DT you cannot fish with your dog as company I'm afraid.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for that Paul. I thought it only applied to non day ticket waters. Seems strange as the town stretch is as you say dig walk and swim heaven.

Dave,
I recently spent a week in a self catering cottage at Symonds Yat. It's garden went right down to the water. Had some great sport with the dog by my side. There are a number of holiday lets in Symonds Yat with waterfront gardens and dog friendly. Have a search on the web, you might find a late availability of a weekend or short break.
Already planning my next year's visit !
Best of look.
Mike

Hereford waters are same as Ross, despite the fact that there are dog walkers abound it's no dogs whilst fishing.

Saw a fella with a lovely white retriever sitting next to him when fishing at White Lion at Wilton Bridge , Ross.
Def worth a look as owner of the Inn was fisherman , others will clarify I am sure.
His dog hardly moved whilst my two hounds were having a real good splash on opposite bank.

The bottom line (in my humble opinion) is that if there is public access to any club controlled stretch of water and the public are allowed to walk their dogs, no club could enforce a no dog rule on it's members.

The bottom line (in my humble opinion) is that if there is public access to any club controlled stretch of water and the public are allowed to walk their dogs, no club could enforce a no dog rule on it's members.

This is true, similar thing with BAA (Birmingham AA) rule that anyone who is a non fisher must by a non fishing season ticket to be on BAA fisheries. Given that a lot of the River venues are alongside public rights of way it cannot be enforceable, and I doubt it could anywhere else too. They also have a 'no dogs' rule too, which let's face it is pretty mean minded, not all dogs would be a good partner, but any Angler would only take a well behaved dog I am sure...the World has gone a bit mad if you cant fish with your dog or your missus, not worried about the wife so much, but the Dog!! :mad:

No, I can understand it with the livestock on many fisheries.

As Paul pointed out its a Club rule. But does seem a bit strange on the Ross Town stretch where the biggest problem for anglers is dogs coming to nick your bait.

Generally its not a problem and a goid natured dog can be fun.....till it jumps in your swim :eek:

I suppose technically the swims we sit in are not on the public right of way and we just use these paths to get to them on some stretches? My missus often says why don't you take the dogs for company-- that will be all 4 of them all who love swimming; she doesn't get the quiet, contemplative aspect :D

Back