• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye day ticket

Robert Linwood

Any know of any decent day ticket stretches on the river Wye. I’ve fished Stan turners stretch of river at aramstone just fancy a change any info would be great lads

Not that many available, try Worcester AA stretch at at Bishopswood Rob. The shame is the shop / cafe is now closed adjacent to the fishery, you could buy a bacon roll and a DT . Last time there the cottage next door was selling them or the Tackle shop in Ross. Let me know if you want to go and you can show me your array of expensive gear :D
Last time I fished the stretch I had eight Barbel in about an hour, for a total weight of about 2bs...but it's a good stretch with good parking.

I’ve done Fownhope through the WUF. That was a nice stretch but rugged terrain (personally I like that). There are plenty though. I’m sure some more recommendations will come.

I could suggest a top town stretch swim if you like dogs and people.

I could even come and get my own back for some of your past ( as in old) jokes.?

Rob, all of HDAA waters is day ticket, tickets from the tackle shops in Hereford. Or you might try Letton Court (see the website), like Stans you can drive down to your swims.

Rob,
Give Kevin at Wye Angling a call or email, he can supply you a ticket for several different stretches around Ross.

Not that many available, try Worcester AA stretch at at Bishopswood Rob. The shame is the shop / cafe is now closed adjacent to the fishery, you could buy a bacon roll and a DT . Last time there the cottage next door was selling them or the Tackle shop in Ross. Let me know if you want to go and you can show me your array of expensive gear :D
Last time I fished the stretch I had eight Barbel in about an hour, for a total weight of about 2bs...but it's a good stretch with good parking.

Passed here yesterday and the shop/cafe is open as a garage, not sure if they are selling the day tickets.

My friend and myself had 2 days fishing and caught 76 barbel to over 9lbs, great fishing.

Passed here yesterday and the shop/cafe is open as a garage, not sure if they are selling the day tickets.

My friend and myself had 2 days fishing and caught 76 barbel to over 9lbs, great fishing.

I see the old filling station is now a filling station again, although not selling hot food like the previous Mother and Daughter owners. I rang the 'Mum' just now who live in the cottage next door to ask about the tickets, and she confirmed the Filling Station and her too will sell a DT. Sadly her Daughter died two years ago, which I was unaware of, this is very sad indeed as I really enjoyed the chat and of course the bacon rolls they served with lashing of sauce and humour. .I love it there, just hope and pray the Wye and Usk inc. keep their hands off it.

Neil

Are you aware of any B&B pubs near to the Bishopswood stretch looking to fish for the first time this sound like a good area.

Thanks

Darrel.

Hi Darrel,
Forgive me chipping in! I can recommend The Inn on the Wye which is within walking distance of the upper section of Bishopswood or The Hostelrie at Goodrich which is a short drive away. Just thought of The Crosskeys at Goodrich. I’ve not stayed in that one ‘cos it’s a bit too close to the A40 and traffic noise for me but i’m told it does attract a few anglers.

Regards

Bill

Stayed in the Inn on the Wye on Thursday, would recommend and I believe that they sell day tickets for the Bishopwood section.

What time of year do the canoes start to disappear? Couple of us thinking of trying the Wye in the next couple of months.

Rhys,
I fished Symonds Yat in mid September last year. Stacks of canoes and powered sight seeing boats passing all day. Made absolutely no difference. The barbel and chub kept biting I guess because they are used to the disturbance. Even had one group of canoes stop mid river to watch me land a barbel.

Rhys

I agree with what Mike says, was like the armada last week but several times had a fish take as they went past. If you are in a swim where they can see you as they approach the vast majority of the canoeists move across the river to avoid you.

Just to note the upper section of Bishopswood is not day ticket - it is for Worcester club members only.

The figures i have seen to date suggest more canoes this year than last but not surprising given the weather. Most canoeists seem to be sensible and often even stop paddling and drift past...numbers tend to decline at the end of September but weekends if the weather is nice continue to be busy.

Yes I seen that Paul, thanks, downstream of the canoe launch only isn't it?
We're thinking in the week around mid October so hopefully fairly quiet.
Where does the stretch end downstream?

Back