• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye 17.5lber & 13lber on meat

Paul Ashton

I know I bang on about rolling meat on here but out yesterday I had a very different day doing just that.
As is usual for me at sometime during the day I will roll meat although not always exclusively. With the river low and clear other methods were called for.

Having used feeder with very small hookbaits I had managed one Barbel and one Chub. Fed up with the lack of action and weed collecting on the line dislodging the tackle I decided to roll meat. Dozens of swans upstream of me were easily able to tear up the streamer weed in the low conditions which gave rise to floating weed catching constantly on my line.
I cast a chunk of meat into the middle of the Wye and rolled it down into a deep pool. The bait hung up and then rolled, hung up again, then rolled and wallop. I knew it was a good fish, it hung there, then took line, a lot of line. It bored deep into the pool and after a while I thought I would at least like to see it before I lost it.
When it finally relented it was a Pike of 17.5 lb hooked firmly in the scissors. What a fluke I thought until at dusk expecting a good pull from a Barbel I latched into another good fish that fought similarly to the previous Pike. No it can't be another Pike I said to myself but yes it was a 13lber. I have hooked a Pike once before in the dim and distant past on meat, but to get 2 on meat in a session! To make the day even more memorable I had a Kingfisher mistake my statue like pose for a roost when it landed on my head, and to finish the day of in stlye I fell in for the first time in ages. What a day.

Attachments

• HPIM1397.jpg
    HPIM1397.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 347
Ah the perils of rolling meat. Loved the thread title. Most of the guys I know have had this happen several times.
I once texted my mate to say I had a 13 out of Ross, neglecting to mention the word pike till later on.

cheers Paul

A great story. I've never been much of a pike angler, but my best also took meat trundled down a fast run below the weir on Lower Benyons. Thought I was into a really big barbel until the longest pike I'd ever seen appeared at the net, a really slim fish, but it still weighed 17-08. Disappointment and elation all at once.

Great story Paul, good read. I must say I have never had pike on meat, but then I rarely roll it...the wee river I usually fish these days has very few swims indeed that would be suitable. Like a lot of people, I have had pike a number of times on trotted maggots...what a palaver that is :D

I Had a jack on the Kennet and Avon canal once while fishing red worm for tench. I could see it in the crystal clear water, so shouted out to a mate who was pike fishing. He ran up with his net and tried to land it, but it was so thin it went straight through one of the mesh holes, despite the fish being about 18" long...another palaver :D. Mind you, that was back in the old days when such nets had knotted string mesh with huge hole sizes.

Cheers, Dave.

Great story, loved it!

Had a few pike that have hit double sweetcorn on the retrieve. Always a tense time wondering where they're hooked and waiting for the hooklength to go at any moment.

I'm a keen pike angler and was deadbaiting with one rod last winter whilst i quivertipped worm for perch with my other rod on the Trent. My only bite of the day was a rod wrenching pull on the tip rod. I hooked what i initially thought was a barbel, only for a truly enormous pike to surface. It was easily 25plus, but sadly the inevitable happened and the light hooklink parted eventually. It would certainly have been my biggest trent pike - which is 23.4 - caught on a tiny dead roach intended for zander!

I stopped dying luncheon meat black after 5 sessions catching pike, even off of Adams mill ,back in the day.something for the pike anglers to think about,maybe dying black the top of deadbaits.

i caught so many pike on boilies when carp fishing that it was obvious that the pike were feeding on them regulary, always knew when a pike took the hookbait as a short jagging sensation up the rod told you the pike was angrily shaking its head

Back