• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

river wharfe addington

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Good Morning all,

I am off to Addington in Yorkshire in march for a weeks holiday with the wife and dog and have seen that we are staying close to the river Wharfe.

does anyone have any information weather I am able to drop I bait in the water for a couple of hours or is this stretch a Addington a club water.

it would only be an off chance that I take a rod with me but if its free fishing I might just take some gear for a early morning session. any information greatly received

Tight lines
Alex

Hi Alex, I think you perhaps mean Addingham, the river there is fished for trout , there are no day tickets or free stretches as far as I am aware.

The river changes to coarse a bit further downstream, at Poole I am led to believe, this may help...

David

Going downstream in order from Addingham (where as stated it's all club water)...

The nearest free stretch is a short stretch at Otley, upstream of the town centre, 20 mins drive from Addingham (but a LOT longer during the very long rush hours). Not a great stretch but there are some chub, trout, grayling, pike. And loads and loads of minnows.

25 mins downstream, the nearest day ticket is Leeds at Pool (about 6 months ago on here I told someone they no longer did that day ticket, but they do - apologies - you buy it at the garage £5). that's great for grayling in winter, with small trout, a few chub and pike if you know the swims(I don't).

Barbel are rare above Arthington, another 5 mins downstream (I did wonder if your place-name was a hybrid of Arthington and Addingham). All club water round there.

Nearest barbel day tickets are on the Wetherby ticket at Collingham and Wetherby ... neither has a good reputation, though both are said to be recovering ... I'm guessing there are people who know some decent barbel spots at Collingham, but i don't ...but if you're going that far you might as well go for the ... nearest good barbel day ticket at Boston Spa - a 47-minute drive downstream from Addingham (but only 19 mins downstream from Arthington)

The only free barbel stretch on the whole river is about an hour downstream from Addingham at Tadcaster. Just a few pegs at the Britannia pub (it's free cos the pub was closed down after the floods 4 years ago). Meanwhile the opposite bank (downstream of the bridge) is a good £5 Tafcaster day ticket on the bank (further you walk down past the A64, the further the bailiff has to walk ... they say ;-) )

As mentioned, the roads through Ilkley and around Pool are a nightmare 7.30-9 and 3.45-6.

Last edited:
Thank you david and graham.
My apologies my spelling is incorrect it is addingham as you said. Only relised i made a mistake while out from home. Thank you both for your replays.
Think i will leave the rods at home and just enjoy the rivers beauty.

Thank you david and graham.
My apologies my spelling is incorrect it is addingham as you said. Only relised i made a mistake while out from home. Thank you both for your replays.
Think i will leave the rods at home and just enjoy the rivers beauty.

Alex, there is a nice mainly flat ( one little hill, about thirty feet high 😱 ) riverside walk from Addingham to Ilkley along the riverside, starting at St Peters Church in Addingham, the walk is about 3 easy miles , each way, it is signposted. You can take a walk around Ilkey, have a coffee or snack and be back in a morning ,or afternoon.
SWMBO and I actually walked it about three weeks ago, the only modern building along the way is a sports centre, which takes up about 200 yards of riverbank, the footpath skirts the centre through a field.

David

Back