• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wensum

Steve Lewis

Hi all

A friend of mine is probably going to be moving to (just north of) Norfolk for a new job this year, and my thoughts are immediately drawn to fishing opportunities. Obviously lots going on around there for most types of fishing, but can anyone tell me if the Wensum still has ANY barbel in it? The Bristol avon is my local, so I don't mind "thin on the ground", but I can't see the Wensum has been mentioned at all on here for years.

Presumably it's still doable for other species?

good luck with the barbel… went the same way as the ivel…. with our cuddly little furry friends eating them …. should be ok for chub and bream

Hi Steve,
I moved to Norwich 18 years ago, just in time to watch the decline of the Wensum!
John Bailey writes a weekly article every Wednesday in the Eastern Daily Press and last week he commented on exactly the same thing.
The barbel are now very rare in the Wensum but other species including large bream and pike are fairly common place.
Norfolk isn't just the Wensum though. The Ant, Bure, Thurne and Yare are all worth a go. Don't forget the Broads either, but best approached by boat.
You never know Steve, your mate may end up enjoying landing a few slabs!

Hi all

A friend of mine is probably going to be moving to (just north of) Norfolk for a new job this year, and my thoughts are immediately drawn to fishing opportunities. Obviously lots going on around there for most types of fishing, but can anyone tell me if the Wensum still has ANY barbel in it? The Bristol avon is my local, so I don't mind "thin on the ground", but I can't see the Wensum has been mentioned at all on here for years.

Presumably it's still doable for other species?
Roach are making a comeback on the Wensum.

Had a days session Saturday on the wensum. Chub were hard to find but I did have a good fight with a trout on light tackle. I just find that any good stretches of the wensum are private and the free stretches that are available just get hammered and rubbish left everywhere. Here is my catch from Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_093130.jpg
    IMG_20220129_093130.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 246
Back