• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Usk

Brian Timson

Anyone have any real information on this nice looking river? I belong to a club that controls a stretch and just need some information on it please.

Brian

where exactly on the river is the stretch Brian? I used to fish it alot in my younger days and think its the best Chub river in my area and now theres a good population of Barbel in certain area's but not much in the way of a course fishing available( well not offiacially anyway).

Hello Mark

I tried the chain bridge section today but was really tough going as it is everywhere i guess. Just wanted to know there were coarse fish to target as previously said I was under the impression it was heavily game fished.

Brian

I can remember my club used to run a three match series every year and there were some massive catches of dace and chub.One year the top three weighed in over 200lbs and the winner dropped half of his catch before the weigh in and still had 60 odd pound.Dont know about barbs but I,m all ears!

Alot of the water is now run by the wye and usk foundation , i dont know of any of the local angling clubs having any stretches any more , correct me if i am wrong , i was also led to believe that not so long ago there were massive bags of chub to be had and also a few barbel but as you say it seems to be mainly a game river , good luck with your findings it would be interesting to know .

Hi Brian

There are deffinately Barbel and plenty of Chub and dace to be had below the chainbridge, I'm guessing your a member of Glamorgan then? the only other club I know of that have course fishing is Merthyr Tydfil which has water below the Turkey factory in Abergaveeny which again has Barbel present. You may have to search the for the Barbel but they are deffinately there and wont be hard to catch once located. There are some huge Chub in the Usk which again aren't fished for and summer lure fishing can be really good for them.

Graham

Do the Wye Usk allow any course fishing on the Usk? I didn't think they did myself.

Mark

You are correct mate Glamorgans... Thanks for the info just gives me confidence in what I am fishing for. Are you also a member? I will give the chub a go if I catch a barbel in the process a bonus!!!!!

I'm not a member Brian but fished the Usk alot in my younger years(could get away with it then) I have walked the banks below chainbridge many a time in recent years as we have shooting rights all along there and have seen them in the shallows in summer, they may not be in every swim but a few days prebaiting should see plenty of fish. I'v always thought that the Usk is perfect habitat for Barbel with plenty of shallow gravel runs present and I know a few hundred were stocked illegally below Llanfoist bridge in Abergavenny throughout the 80's by match anglers returning from the Wye/Severn but its only the last few years that people have been catching them, let me know how you get on.

It screams Barbel and Chub to me so should be fun finding out. Hopefully will have something to pass on to you...

Brian

Back