• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River tripod

Chris Allcock

Good evening all,
Just thought I'd share my "virtually" home made river pod. There was an article on this on a french river forum i beleive. Consists of a couple of 2ft bank sticks for the front with angle adjusters. A back one of around 3 ft, a short arm keep net adapter for back buzz bar and a gardener scud block which I think are as rare as rocking horse s#%t. It has been an awesome bit of kit and cheap as opposed to spending nigh on 90 squid for a korum river pod. Extremely robust and collapsible friendly!
Do excuse the helpful rocks and the bungee cord as I couldn't drive the points in the hard ground!
Chris.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708_183143_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_183143_Gallery.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_20230708_183135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_183135_Gallery.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot_20230708_183116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_183116_Gallery.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 227
Good evening all,
Just thought I'd share my "virtually" home made river pod. There was an article on this on a french river forum i beleive. Consists of a couple of 2ft bank sticks for the front with angle adjusters. A back one of around 3 ft, a short arm keep net adapter for back buzz bar and a gardener scud block which I think are as rare as rocking horse s#%t. It has been an awesome bit of kit and cheap as opposed to spending nigh on 90 squid for a korum river pod. Extremely robust and collapsible friendly!
Do excuse the helpful rocks and the bungee cord as I couldn't drive the points in the hard ground!
Chris.
As you say the Gardner Scud block is a bit like finding rocking horse Droppings !
its surprising someone hasnt come up with something similar ? and I always do as you do with ANY river pod and secure the rear leg madness not doing it IMO
pod pegged down.jpg

Definitely Gerry. I am not losing my rods and reels to the river Prince!!!
Chris.
I was fishing a day session and had a call of nature sitting on a bucket when this narrow boat that I could not see due to the trees came incredibly close to the bank picked up both lines if my pod hadnt been pegged I would have lost the lot Im sure both rods bent double bait runners screaming just got to them

I like the setup @Chris Allcock if I didn't already own a Prologic Sky Pod I would take a look at replicating your setup, ideal for those on a budget or begrudge paying silly prices for over inflated kit. I am a bit OCD about digging the pods legs in when on mud/grass bank and when on rocks I tie some Paracord around the base on to a fully loaded bait bucket I will also do this in flood water conditions when on mud/grass.

Baitrunners 'should' kick in to prevent a pod being pulled in, but have read of pods being pulled in and the lot being lost, I decided early on not to take any chances.

I was fishing a day session and had a call of nature sitting on a bucket when this narrow boat that I could not see due to the trees came incredibly close to the bank picked up both lines if my pod hadnt been pegged I would have lost the lot Im sure both rods bent double bait runners screaming just got to them
Christ on a bike!! You were lucky you didn't lose all your gear then! Praise the Lord for bungee cords!
Mind you the boats are a bloody nuisance at times especially when they are tanking along at 40 frigging knots.
Surprised I ain't seen a jet ski up to yet.
Chris.

I did look at the sky pod before the korum one. Looks absolutely wicked! And I bet it is too.
I do love mine though as I pretty much made it. Had to alter the rear short arm as it was middy stargrip chair thingy bob. I used some 15mm copper pipe and coupler and soldered a female brass thread in side the mitre bonded (superglue) to the star grip stump and drilled it and put a little nut and bolt through just secure it a bit more. It does the trick and looks fairly good imo.
Chris.

Back