• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Trent

John Smith 2

Having a slow start to the season on the sections around Newark. Have they spawned yet or am I just a **** angler?
Regards John

Having a slow start to the season on the sections around Newark. Have they spawned yet or am I just a **** angler?
Regards John
John
Where I have been fishing on the Middle Trent I have been catching just the odd barbel, not big catches. However, my first 5 barbel were all over 11.07 and had not spawned. My 6th was 9.14 and looked spawned out.

I gather that those fishing the shallower stretches are catching more and they have mostly now spawned. I would be interested to know if others are finding the same.
Bob

John and Gavin

I can confirm both of your thoughts.

I've had five outings so far; two on the Tidal (a short distance below Cromwell) and three near Newark.

I can only boast(?!) a grand total of just 4 barbel in about 40 hours of fishing! Which is four more, at least, than some of my mates and a few others I've spoken to on the bank!

A small consolation is that two of them were doubles (10.8 and 10.10) and all of them were taken "last cast" each time and on good old reliable Elips.

What does give me (and other fellow anglers!) some sort of hope however is that I've looked at my catch rates for the same period over the previous three seasons and they all appear to form pretty much the same sort of pattern, which does improve as the season progresses past the first weeks. (I normally end up with a season's average catch of 120-ish)

I think (apart from a few lucky lads who have privileged access to some "hidden, private stetches with minimal club/day ticket visitors) that it takes our much sought-after quarry, a bit of time to get back to their regular haunts and habitual feeding /patrolling areas after nature's procreative demands are fulfilled.

Just keep plugging (whoops! I don't mean try to "lure" them!!) away and they will begin to fill your landing nets soon enough!

Roger

At least I hope so! I'm out again on Tuesday with a few pints of hemp and caster!!

Hi Roger,

I'll be having my first Trent session of the season on Tuesday and Wednesday. Agree with your thoughts, I too have had slow starts last couple of seasons with August being the peak month for numbers and October for the biggest average weight. Having kept an eye on the level I don't think it has been right either, the main reason that I've held back thus far.

Back