• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Trent running high

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
After a lot of rain ,I took my dog a walk down the Trent where I often fish to see what the conditions
We're like .It was no surprise to see the level almost to the top of the bank and a colour resembling Chocolate !!!
To my surprise there was a couple of Anglers fishing !!!
Would not of been my choice to fish in those conditions ,but good luck to them
Fishing looked to be extremely difficult with false takes due to weed and debri coming down the river.
From what I could see the rods were more often than not on the bank removing clumps of weed from the line
" WOULD YOU FISH IN THOSE CONDITIONS " ?
If so ,how would you approach it ?

After a lot of rain ,I took my dog a walk down the Trent where I often fish to see what the conditions
We're like .It was no surprise to see the level almost to the top of the bank and a colour resembling Chocolate !!!
To my surprise there was a couple of Anglers fishing !!!
Would not of been my choice to fish in those conditions ,but good luck to them
Fishing looked to be extremely difficult with false takes due to weed and debri coming down the river.
From what I could see the rods were more often than not on the bank removing clumps of weed from the line
" WOULD YOU FISH IN THOSE CONDITIONS " ?
If so ,how would you approach it ?
Under normal circumstances I would definitely fish in those conditions, I do think this particular influx of water may be quite cold though and may affect them feeding, unlike the last influx we had about 3 weeks ago, when they were really having it!
I'd look to fish closer in steadier water Perhaps with a bit of shelter from the flow or the edge of a crease etc, you don't need to fish far out with all the extra water on.

I live for these conditions Adam! Albeit on a river a quarter the volume of the Trent. If I were on the Trent I would focus the margins with meat!

Completely agree with Mark tho about the rain temp, very cold! 🥶

Last edited:
My favourite conditions albeit on the Severn.
A lump of meat fished in close, 2oz lead and let the river guide it into place.
👍

I've never found late autumn amd winter floods to be particularly good. Different kettle of fish in summer and early autumn but not when you get beyond October.

Jon has a point about the leaves as well. I reckon about 80% of the leaves on the oak tree at the bottom of the garden have come down in the last 48 hours.

Lots on the Wye today and the Barbel were asleep.
Not for the first time this season, got it wrong.

Silvers active on the float!

I was hoping to fish with friends near Newark this weekend. The first guy there couldn't hold bottom in a near side slack even with an 8oz lead which I found really surprising. There was loads of weed coming down too.
Im sure with perseverance we would have found a fishable spot but there were four of us we were hoping to fish close to each other so we could have a proper catch up.
We decided it was just going to be too much like hard work and bailed out. I'm gutted because I'm on a very long run of blanks on the upper Trent and had been looking forward to this weekend with a better chance of fish for weeks :(

I've not been out for a while now. By the time the weekend comes around I've had enough of being outside all week. We got absolutely soaked through on Thursday at work and the thought of sitting outside all day over the weekend isn't all that appealing to me now. When I was younger, no problem. Not now though.

Plus the Rugby's on.

Thankfully I'm on holiday on Monday, although I've got Hospital trips with my wife to look forward to. Not much fun drying your wet weather gear out in the van every day, so I'm glad I'm not in on Monday. The Weather does look unsettled in Leicestershire for next week.

Also, the levels of the Trent seem to recede quicker than I remember when we fished it years ago. Colour drops out quickly too, so who knows what we'll face next week. Here's hoping for a decent level.

River Trent at Farndon 1.206 and rising at 20:00 Hrs tonight, above typical high of 0.91 for the time of year.

I don't know whether to fish it or surf on it. 🤣

Back