• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Trent at Smeaton Lakes

David Maddison

I am making my own feeders for my first trent trip in june, and i have ordered some 110g/3.8oz dead cow leads as i guessed this would be ok when the trent is at normal level? Also the wifes rollers that i am using could do with colouring to match the river bed. Having never fished here before i dont know whether the river bed is gravel, sandy or muddy? Could anyone who has fished here give me an idea on the depth of the river here also? Any help would be appreciated as i rarely get a chance to fish now and any info would help me make the most of this trip.

Many Thanks

Dave

I don't know the depths, but you can catch fish 1 to 2 rod lengths out, deep channel right at your feet, best pegs are the end pegs but you can catch in any peg, plenty of barbel about with a few big carp knocking around aswell.

It's a gravel bottom in the main, judging by the gravel bank you can see when it's low, not fished it in a few years, but when I did a few times your in with a chance of having a few out, fishes best teatime onwards in my experience unless you find where they are holed up, there are a couple of spots to find ;)

Thanks Darren. Thats sounds great catching 1-2 rods out. I wasn't sure if my rod would cast a 4oz plus loaded feeder further out, so close in fishing suits me. I will get those feeders coloured lighter to match the gravel, (not sure if that makes a bit of difference when they are feeding :p)
A river carp would be a nice bonus too, and a first for me. As far as best pegs go i really don't mind which i end up on. End pegs are always the best though ;)

Dave

Back