• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River tone anyone fished it?

Jon Kennard

Hi guys as per the title just wondered if anyone has finished it? Living in north Devon there are no barbel rivers in easy access however the tone looks fun and an interesting fish for chub etc similar to the culm although I would think higher stocks I'd be really interested to hear from anyone that has. Thinking about it for a few trips this season thanks Jon

Jon, there is some good fishing on the Tone, lots of Grayling to a decent size, ditto Dace, Chub, Trout and the odd Roach.
Various beats to choose from....Taunton fishing club, Taunton fly fishers, Wellington angling club, a few bits I've heard about through Farmers, ( haven't tried these, as not exactly sure where) and the odd bit of free/ no one knows who has the rights water.

Thanks Ben for your reply. I spoke up the guy who owns taunton angling today he spoke very highly of the tone as you mentioned for a variety of fish. Hard Good things about the free stretches to. I'll def be heading up there this season. Shame I don't have a fishing buddy to share the experience and fuel costs. Being self employed only really weekends for me whereas my good buddy I fish with is only week days. I'll look up the other clubs to thanks. May do a fly session or two as well.

I grew up in Taunton and fished the Tone a lot. Haven't fished it seriously for 20+years however i always have a look when i am down there. French Weir is free and was good for dace and Chub. I saw salmon climbing the fish pass 3 years ago. Above the weir towards silk mills was great for grayling and Chub with plenty of brownies. Through town we used to catch good bags of roach on hemp and tares and there were bream in the Firepool. The Fast Stretch was good for Chub.

Good luck.

Hi Simon thanks for the reply I'm already getting pretty excited by the prospect of it all. I won't be able to get there loads but am certainly going to get some long days booked in exploring. I'll post a progress report.

Fished it a fair few times in the early to mid 90s when Bridgwater AA had its northermost stretches on their books (they lost them years ago, though).

Never caught anything substantial, but plenty of silvers and chub up to about 3lb. Saw but never caught grayling, saw but never caught salmon. Lower reaches reputed to hold some big carp to over 30lb at the time.

A lot of water has, literally and figuratively, passed under the bridge since then of course, so I couldn't begin to guess what it's like these days. Sounds like it's still in fine fettle, though.

Hi Joh, I know its an old thread but did you ever get to fish the Tone? Looking at trying it myself sometime as I am in North Devon too.

Rod I did reply a private message on here and via messenger. Fished it for the first time 3-4 Weeks ago. Looking to go Saturday but just read the crazy EA back destroying/ sorry clearing of the past few days!

Back