• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Thames Northmoor

Simon Rolph

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All

I used to fish Northmoor Weirpool above Bablockhythe when I was a kid with my old man , we used to pay the farmer in Appleton to fish on the bank in the weirpool field - below that I think was ODAA or Oxford and Abingdon Alliance then a university club all the way to opposite bablockhythe ferryman inn ( far bank side not RDAA) . I keep seeing a camping firm seems to have the fishing rights now - is this correct ?(. ( I did hear also that the Red Spinners had the rights) If so has anyone got a contact that works as the number and email online - no response from the website info . Used to fish well for big bream and barbel occasionally - although after the weir sill rebuild in the late 90s the barbel fishing went downhill Would love a day fishing on there again just to reminisce of the good times with my old man. Cheers Simon

I’ve just looked at the camping firm’s website and that suggests they sell day/season tickets for the stretch below the weir (RH bank)

Oxford and Abingdon Alliance water starts (I think) below that at Bablock Hythe.

The RDAA website suggests they have the left hand bank from the weir down - but their access is from the pub at the downstream end. I’m going to the RDAA ‘open day ‘ next weekend so I will check the details for you.

Ive fished various stretches above/below; but never the one you mention. So my info could be incorrect.

Another suggestion - ring Top Tackle (Fat Phil’s as was) they usually know what’s what round Oxford.

Hi Tim. one of my friends was a RDAA bailiff for the stretch from bablockhythe ferryman inn all the way to Northmoor many years ago , it was fished regularly but not great amounts of fishermen , it’s a long and interesting stretch with good spots for big Perch , Roach and Bream. Eels used to be good at night too. You could find the odd Barbel at night but you needed to find the deep depressions as somewhere to start , more barbel came off the caravan park . The stretch was far easier to fish from a boat with fish finder to find the hotspots I’ll try the campsite mob again to see I can get any response. Cheers Simon

Yes. Somebody I know fished it a while back and as you say; a boat was the key. It was hardly fished back then.

Hi Simon

I tried to get permission to fish at the campsite on the Weirpool a couple of years ago, but never got a reply, found it impossible to get hold of anyone. I even approached the loch keeper and got a very blunt reply from him. The cheapest way to fish this stretch is join the Littlemore Angling Club for £17. They have a sharing agreement on this water with the RDAA. There is a second carpark much closer to the Weirpool off Church Lane just before you get to Northmoor village, a gate and track on the left hand side, drive down a couple of fields and there is parking for RDAA members, this is only a couple of hundred yards below the Weirpool.
Lovely stretch of river, especially if you like solitude and a challenge!

Mick

Back