• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River temperature taking

Would any of these temp readings stop you going fishing if you had a free day or two,it certainly wouldn't stop me if i could get out i would just hope for a bite😉
Yes absolutely.

Being virtually retired means I try and only fish at the very best times.

That often equates to not fishing for weeks……or having targets for a variety of species that are catchable in different conditions.

I've got a Reuben heaton digital thermometer - it's ok for what I need and it to work out if the water temp is falling whilst I'm on the bank in autumn and winter.

I usually arrive on the bank at first light and fish through the day, if I'm not getting bites and the temp is falling then I won't fish beyond the first hour of darkness, I'd rather get home to a hot bath, warm meal and MOTD, keeping my powder dry for better conditions, and coming home earlier then you said is always worth useful brownie points..

I accept that logic, and if I was fishing alone it wouldnt be an issue. However I would like to be able to collate readings from my mate and official readings with my own - but I can’t do that with wrongly calibrated instruments.

Unfortunately Tim most of the thermometers out there are not actually that accurate especially the digital type. They are normally only accurate to + or - 1c at best so potentially up to 2c out. I Have a Rueben Heaton and found it to be the worst but at least is consistent in it's inaccuracy if you get my drift. The first one I had read 4c high, same with the second one, the third one around 1.6c high. I just don't rely on it. ;)
If you collate your readings with your mates you should at least see if your readings are consistently out to his readings, assuming of course you are both taking temps on the same bit of river at the same time, and who is to say that his is correct anyway.
Whatever the temperature the thing that usually matters most is whether the temp is rising, falling or stable.
;)

Unfortunately Tim most of the thermometers out there are not actually that accurate especially the digital type. They are normally only accurate to + or - 1c at best so potentially up to 2c out. I Have a Rueben Heaton and found it to be the worst but at least is consistent in it's inaccuracy if you get my drift. The first one I had read 4c high, same with the second one, the third one around 1.6c high. I just don't rely on it. ;)
If you collate your readings with your mates you should at least see if your readings are consistently out to his readings, assuming of course you are both taking temps on the same bit of river at the same time, and who is to say that his is correct anyway.
Whatever the temperature the thing that usually matters most is whether the temp is rising, falling or stable.
;)
Yes, that all makes sense.

I guess I could buy another cheap one and then take the best of 3 readings !

Or given my negative mindset, perhaps I should only use the one that reads the lowest - that way I have another excuse to go (stay at) home…..!

Back