• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River temperature taking

I can do it with my digital thermocouple. While it’s an extremely accurate tool it’s not the most accurate method because I can only take the reading from the top 6inch of water.
So it’s good for giving an idea that’s all.

The lower Thames appears to have readings but I haven't been able to find anything on the Upper. I'll try taking the temperature next weekend.

Yes, digital thermometer , with probe on a length of thin cable

I, and my pals, used to use them BUT if you are there and you are going to fish it's a waste of time, you really don't want to know that your chances might be lessened.

Unless you are just going to monitor every day to see a trend, with a view to choosing the best day to fish - which I'd venture to guess few are in a position to do?

It's only my opinion though, do as you wish if it helps your confidence.

Yes, digital thermometer , with probe on a length of thin cable

I, and my pals, used to use them BUT if you are there and you are going to fish it's a waste of time, you really don't want to know that your chances might be lessened.

Unless you are just going to monitor every day to see a trend, with a view to choosing the best day to fish - which I'd venture to guess few are in a position to do?

It's only my opinion though, do as you wish if it helps your confidence.
100% agree.

I make my assumption of the water temp based on:
If it’s had a drop of fresh water in it or a few recent frosts you’ll know it’s dropped in temp quite quickly and going to be harder to convince them to come out.

If it’s starting to drop off after a few days of holding it’s height and we’ve had some sunshine you’ll know it’s definitely worth a try as the water temp could be up a degree or 2. Yesterday I saw the outside air temp was 13° from my car and we’ve not had much rain and the river while quite low has still maintained it’s murky colour.
Prime conditions for a cheeky chuck. Who needs a thermometer 😉

I appreciate the logic Paul. I am curious to know what the temp is and how quickly it changes at this time of year. I have river frontage at home and work so could take readings every day if I chose but water temperature would be the last thing to dissuade me from fishing.

E
I have river frontage at home and work so could take readings every day if I chose but water temperature would be the last thing to dissuade me from fishing.

ah well that makes it worth while.
my river is an hour drive for me so I ain’t popping up there to do anything but fish it.
If it ran down the side of my house I’d be checking temp fluctuations too.

These give dissolved oxygen levels as well as temperature, but they are a bit pricy!

Attachments

• C8C973F4-DAA6-426A-90F1-D6B1B1AFBFC3.jpeg
    C8C973F4-DAA6-426A-90F1-D6B1B1AFBFC3.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 252
I use a Reuben Heaton Digital Thermometer...but recently I've doubted it's accuracy as a few other anglers were all getting 3f less than my reading!
Ive now ordered another aquarium thermometer (which I had originally)
I do believe though that what's relavant is not the actual temperature itself but whether it's on the up or down or stable!
Since October I've recorded the river temp on all my outings and whenever I've recorded a significant rise in temp I've caught!

I bought 2 new reuben heaton digitals a few years back, there was 4 degrees fahrenheit difference in the readings on them, hence why I use the mercury thermometer. Temperature trend is important but it is nice to know what the actual temperature is.

What we really need are glass/metal-cased 'clinical thermometers' (like they used to use in hospitals etc : those that needed a good shake to 're-set') ..... but with a 0-25'c, 32-80'f range, and not the standard 36-40'c 'clinical' range. They'd be 'castable', and ambient air temp wouldn't alter their reading.

I’m reactivating an old thread…..

Can anybody recommend a reasonably accurate, not too expensive portable thermometer ?

I used two last winter and the readings were several degrees apart! Ano angler on the same water had one and his readings were different again…..

Ive got one of the Polaris oxygen meters mentioned above - so maybe I could calibrate mine against that (assuming the Polaris is accurate!). I’m not taking the Polaris to the river.

In the old days we used mercury thermometers and they all seemed to read the same - so if my mate went to the river and said it was 42 degrees; then it was 42 degrees ! Simple.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

It almost doesn't matter what temperature the thermometer shows, just so long as it shows an increase or decrease (improving and impairing the chance of a fish, respectively).

It almost doesn't matter what temperature the thermometer shows, just so long as it shows an increase or decrease (improving and impairing the chance of a fish, respectively).
I accept that logic, and if I was fishing alone it wouldnt be an issue. However I would like to be able to collate readings from my mate and official readings with my own - but I can’t do that with wrongly calibrated instruments.

Would any of these temp readings stop you going fishing if you had a free day or two,it certainly wouldn't stop me if i could get out i would just hope for a bite😉

Back