• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Taff

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
So Angling Trust just launched its fishing in Wales website, here’s what it says about barbel ...... three of our major rivers, the Wye, Severn and Taff, the latter of which produces double figure fish to nearly 20lb with regularity !!!! What have I been missing ?

So Angling Trust just launched its fishing in Wales website, here’s what it says about barbel ...... three of our major rivers, the Wye, Severn and Taff, the latter of which produces double figure fish to nearly 20lb with regularity !!!! What have I been missing ?
You have been fishing The Wye too much? ;) The Taff has had a remarkable turn round in fortune, just a few years ago it ran black from coal slurry. Now there are all species thriving, Barbel Trout Grayling too, there have been a couple of good TV documentaries on it. Graham states that it is a bit rough Bankside, which was confirmed by a couple of Welsh lads I met on the Wye.

A bit longer than a few years ago that it used to run black. As a lad, i used to trot for roach on it and had a number approaching 2lb in a swim behind what is now the sightscreen at the river end of the Glamorgan County Cricket ground in Sophia Gardens in Cardiff. Rumours then of the odd sewin (sea trout) caught further up river at Blackweir. Saw the odd chub under the trees a bit further upstream.

A bit longer than a few years ago that it used to run black. As a lad, i used to trot for roach on it and had a number approaching 2lb in a swim behind what is now the sightscreen at the river end of the Glamorgan County Cricket ground in Sophia Gardens in Cardiff. Rumours then of the odd sewin (sea trout) caught further up river at Blackweir. Saw the odd chub under the trees a bit further upstream.
I have grayling fished it for a few years with a number of fish over 2lb.

Last season not so good, but thats a typical situation with short lived species.

Previous years 20 or so grayling not unusual.

I have grayling fished it for a few years with a number of fish over 2lb.

Last season not so good, but thats a typical situation with short lived species.

Previous years 20 or so grayling not unusual.
Best Grayling water I have ever fished Graham, not the prettiest, but very prolific. I don't think it's as good for barbel as it once was, but then again, I don't think they get fished for as much as they did ? Had a huge trout from there a few years back too..........

Best Grayling water I have ever fished Graham, not the prettiest, but very prolific. I don't think it's as good for barbel as it once was, but then again, I don't think they get fished for as much as they did ? Had a huge trout from there a few years back too..........
Yes. Agree re numbers but would have to put the Frome as no 1 Paul.

Back